Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to get 203 tc rebuilt?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79Silv4x4, Dec 22, 2002.

1. 79Silv4x4

79Silv4x4 Registered Member

Wondering if there's a place that does quality work in either OK or TX? I've checked with a couple of local tranny shops but I'm not confident in getting them to do it. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Are you sure it needs to be rebuilt? I took mine apart a while back and the gears in that thing are practically bullet-proof. The chain is also very stout, but I hear you can get a replacement chain for just over $100. You can buy a seal kit for around $25. If you are going to go to the trouble of taking it out, you should consider taking it apart and rebuilding it yourself (if anything is worn, which I doubt). You can also buy a bearing kit for it for under $200 that includes the gaskets and seals. It's all pretty easy to get apart and back together if you stay with it - it's just heavy.

3. 79Silv4x4

Well, by being rebuilt I mean replacing things like the chain, seals and other 'wear' parts. Since it is so heavy I only want to pull it once so I just thought I'd go through the whole thing rather than just replace the chain. Is this a do it yourself kind of job? I do most all of my own repairs but have always left trannys and t-cases to the pros.

4. CooknwithGas

I have never rebuilt a transfer case and found it to be relatively simple. The hard part was pulling it out of the truck and putting it back in place. If you can do that, you certainly can replace the seals and chain. I'm glad I did it myself and I think you will be too after you get into it and see how tough the parts are in there. I actually took it apart, set all the gears and what-have-you on a table, then washed out each section with the garden hose and some soapy water, dried it and put it all back together. You should get ahold of the exploded view (I can email it to you if you want).

What is yours doing that requires a rebuild?

5. Frankenstien

Frankenstien 1/2 ton status

grim just did a article on part time kits and it showed alot of the tear apart, repair, and reassemble pics good read and pretty informative. Grim is the master when it comes to the 203 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

The first time I tore into the 203, I expected to have trouble, especially that I didn't stack the parts or lay them out in an organized maner.
    Still I got it together in one day and I didn't even change anything except the gaskets, everything was perfect in it, but if anything you might need a new chain or get the kit from milemarker to adjust the chain.

7. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

why bother just buy a 205 and throw that chain driven p.o.s away or buy a used one for 50.00 the $$ you gonna spend on it the t case isnt worth it
    just my opion -experience
    best of luck what ever you deciede to do

8. CooknwithGas

You know what they say about opions, er, opinions......

9. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    A friend of mine and I took apart a 203 to replace the chain. We did it in one day, with the case still in the truck and it wasn't that hard. I'd do it again... and I think that I'd take on my 205 by myself if I ever had any problems with it.

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

why bother just buy a 205 and throw that chain driven p.o.s away or buy a used one for 50.00 the $$ you gonna spend on it the t case isnt worth it
    just my opion -experience

[/ QUOTE ]
    $300 is average rate for a TH350 205 Possibly more to buy hashed 205 for fixed yoke
    $100 is average for the adaptor.
    $250 for new rear drive shaft
    $300 for new front.
    $900 is what most people pay to convert to a 205 unless they just get lucky on a deal.

Average cost to get a unconverted 203 up to snuff after 200k of full time 4wd for the next 200k.
    $125 for a chain.
    $50 for seals and oil.
    POS...hardly. it's a pretty damn tough case. only case that is any stronger that ever came in a GM light truck was the 205.
    If you want part time the add
    $45 for 501 kit + hubs
    $300 for shaft kit including hubs. Shaft kit is stronger and takes away just about all of the drive line slop.
    http://coloradok5.com/milemarkerpt.shtml see if that helps out.
    The good news is you wouldn't need to take the whole thing out. The reduction box rarely has any issues.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Cost to buy one from the junkyard $50-100 and it probably won't act up again for a really long time.

Save the old one for when they're hard to find, then rebuild it I guess.

Honestly with as plentiful as the parts are for these trukcs I can't see why anyone would spend the time to repair something like that...just replace it with another unit.

I don't think the 203 is a bad case, it's plenty strong and there's tons more of them all over just waiting to get put in your rig. Generally the trucks rot off the frame before the transfer case is worn out.

12. 79Silv4x4

Sure I could buy a tc from another chevy truck but considering they haven't used this case in over 20 years I would likely wind up with one just like I have. I'm not dumb enough to buy a used tc and not go through it and replace the seals and check everything out. I already have one so why should I buy another 20+ year old unit? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

13. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well, I must disagree.
    If you look for one that isn't leaking, and looks like it hasn't seen huge tires working it, it should be fine for years to come.
    I bought a blazer that came with the old 203 that was replaced, and I rebuilt it, using elbow grease and new oil.
    I replaced one seal the output shaft seal, that was the reason they changed it.
    But when my other truck's case went south, the chain actually broke and wedged between the case and the inner gears and exploded the case, I went to the Junk yards and picked up another one, bolted it, filled it with lube and have been driving it with no problems for 2 years.