Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where to get a fuel cell?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Nov 1, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I need like an 18+ gallon fuel cell for the K5. Tired of that stupid factory tank under there. I put a hole in it and should replace it anyway.

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Summitt or Jegs can hook you up with a new one....

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

NW Parts has them /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

If you're good at welding you can build your own box then all you have to buy is a bladder and the hookups. I did this once eons ago and it turned out really well. I would also call your local chapter of Sports Car Club of America and stop by your local dirt tracks and talk to the racers. There might be a local source. Good luck to ya.

Allan

5. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

If you're good at welding you can build your own box then all you have to buy is a bladder and the hookups. I did this once eons ago and it turned out really well. I would also call your local chapter of Sports Car Club of America and stop by your local dirt tracks and talk to the racers. There might be a local source. Good luck to ya.

Allan

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

There is a drag race shop that I want to get a job at, owner is my mom's friends boyfriend so I'm gonna go see if I can get a job then see about getting stuff.

7. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i have a 50 gallon fuel tank from one of our truck's at work, think how long before fill ups.cost a bunch to fill though.you can have it if you want, not as cool as a F/G fuel cell but can take a good hit. just a thought /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

haha well I don't think that would work out for me. Probably lower my k5 a few inches. 50x7 whats that 350 pounds of fluid sloshing around? would probably make the k5 sway.

9. boggerless

that's true.i need a fuel cell myself. my tant is surounded by the hitch frame and i can't get it out with out torching /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifi'd like to get a nice little tanky tank. it would be cool to have 50 gallons on hand though. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

one of the reasons I have to get my tank out of there too, PO welded the stupid hitch on.

11. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

JEGS! they have a 20 gal with GM sender for right at $200 and best part is shipping is only $7.99 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Add your own fuel pump and go

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

$200 is more than I want to spend so I'm gona keep looking. GM sender is nice but some other form of fuel guage would work fine for me. And if I'm gonna spend that money, summit has an RCI aluminum 20 gallon with gm sender for $189

13. boggerless

hey SLED DOG you know any noakes's , i have fam in PA /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

nope, can't say i do. think I am gonna get that RCI aluminum, I would like more fuel capacity but it works.

15. boggerless

that's cool, i don't know what part they live in, but that's where my dad's side is from. my mom's side is from romania, dracula and all that. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

16. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

I jsut got the 20 gallon from summit and it was on sale for $168 I think, somethin right aroung there. That was for the summit brand fuel cell which is actually an RCI with out the stickers, instruction sheet was labeled RCI

17. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Which one is that? Those are usually around $200+ for the 20 gal if it's the one I'm thinking of. What are the dimensions? Got a part number?

18. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

how do you guys get by with 20 gal tanks???? man, all my full size chevs have been gas hogs and a 31 gal tank in blazer is nice so you don't have to hit the pump every few days.

what i can't find is someone who makes like a 40 gal cell. what do the desert guys use. don't thay have to go long stretches between pit stops?

19. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

www.fuelsafe.com
    most racers and rockcrawlers and dirt or circle track drivers use em'. They are pricey but the quality is unmatched. I currently have a 20 gal. RCI fuel tank with a sump. I run an in tank fuel pump connected to a yj fuelpump/sender setup.(only because it has a square mounting hole. Pretty clean install and I avoid the whole frame mounted fuel pump thing and the aluminum fuel cell is high the "cool-meter"
    juan

20. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Which one is that? Those are usually around $200+ for the 20 gal if it's the one I'm thinking of. What are the dimensions? Got a part number?

[/ QUOTE ]

The part number is SUM-290220-S, dimensions are 24x20x10, and that includes the sending unit.