Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to get a SM465 shifter and 3rd gear jump out ring?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by aksidentproan, Sep 17, 2003.

1. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

I must be an idiot but I can't seem to find new SM465 shifters. Everyone keeps telling me to go to a junkyard but I'd like to put a new one in. Anyone have any good ideas. Also, I've heard about something to cure 3rd gear jump out. Anyone know if this exists and/ or where to get one? Thanks in advance.

Evan

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If it does, I want it, because I can't even begin to say how irritating it is. Mine won't stay in 3rd unless you hold it as hard as you can.

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I have NO clue where to get a NEW shifter but I have a newer style (the one with 2 bends) and and older style (one with 1 bend), both of which I will sell to you...Make me an offer... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

As far as the cure for the 3rd gear jump out problem, you need to rebuild the tranny and replace the 3rd gear blocker ring with one that has diamond cut dog teeth and I believe there is an updated snapring that is used to help with the unwanted gear movement as well..

4. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

The third gear pop out cure actually is made of both the ring and the gear! You will have to rebuild the tranny while you're in there too! Do a search on tranny shops... Most any tranny shop can get you it! I talk to these guys all the time and they can order you one! Austin Drivetrain /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I have one in my tranny, but I haven't tested the tranny yet!

5. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

fortcollinsram - sent you a pm

6. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

i just put a SM465 in, its from an 89- what are the chances it'll stay in third very well?

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It should be fine. Mine's worn out cause it came from a plow truck.