Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to get Airbags? Ideas for designing?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Mar 10, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Where can I get large airbags for lifting designs? I am looking at a 1990(new body style) 2wd Dually 3500 and I Want to straight axle it. I know blah blah blah 2wds are harder to do this too but don't bother me about that I will worry about it. Where can I get large airbags? I would like to look at running an airbag front suspension instead of Coilover or leaf sprung.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Firestone makes 'em. Check out their website. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I just found the article Fourwheeler did when the guy installed a 4 corner air bag setup on a dodge. Gives me some good ideas and a place to go to find parts. I am liking the idea of using a coil sprung dodge axle cause I have coil spring perches and control arm mounts already there.

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Keep the posts coming on this, I'm intersted as well. I'm working on an airbag assisted 1/4 eliptical setup for my blazer, I hadn't thought much about the coil sprung dodge axles though.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I thought of it because in the article, (check tech section of fourwheeler.com like 3rd page) it was a dodge and they say how they use the stock spring perches top and bottom and the control arm mount points. In the rear they use the front leaf spring mount for one radius arm. The place sells a center link mount for your 2 bottom links. I was thinking get that and just do my front setup that way I leave plenty of room for my rear later when I can afford it. I really like being able to lower it down at a stop to get out and like being able to lower just one side or the toher for sidehilling or who knows what else.

6. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

What kind of axle location setup are you going to run? You planning on the stock dodge setup? If so you may run into problems if your wanting long travel...

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

not too worried about long travel, its a dually so articulation won't be stellar unless I really try for it and I am just not gonna worry. Mostly mud runnign around here, only trails you would want articulation a dually just won't fit on. If you read the article I mentioned I am going to use their center link thing for the lower arm and fab myself an upper link mount. Heim jointed bars instead of the stock bushing equipped dodge arms. Will be better than a stock Dodge setup but not an all out rockcrawler coilover type setup.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

get a firestone book to refernce the #s, then hit a semi wrecker to get bags for $50 each vs $200+ each new.
    do not waste your $$ on all those stupid electric solenoids when simple gas valves will do the job faster and cheaper.