Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to get Body Mount bolts for 1" body lift?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ryan B., Jan 21, 2003.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Where to get Body Mount bolts for 1\" body lift?

Alright i've done plenty of searching...
    The original body mount bolts are Grade 5 carriage bolts except for the #2 position which is a hex head bolt.
    It seems almost impossible to find grade 5 carriage bolts in quanities of like 2 or 4 (less than 50 or 100)
    All the hardware stores have Grade 2 carriage bolts.
    I called some specialty hardware and fastener places and they can only order stuff in mass quanities.
    I thought about LMC ordering original bolts but i need them to be 1" longer for the Aluminum pucks i'm getting.

So....
    I could get some stainless carriage bolts, which the specialty hardware place said stainless carriage bolts will have the same tensile strength as a grade 5 carriage bolt.
    I told the guy i wanted to replace the bolts with what was original which was grade 5 not stainless.

I could replace all the bolts with hex head bolts and then even find the bolts in Grade 8 instead of Grade 5.

So what should i do?
    Get stainless carriage bolts that some guy told me are about the same strength as grade 5.
    Or should i go with hex head bolts and find them all in grade 8?
    Seems like it would be best to go grade 8 bolts throughout, but then the bolts won't fit the same in the bed. I'll have some hex heads sticking up in the bed instead of some carriage bolts just being round above the surface.

Who's done a 1" body lift? What did you do about the body mount bolts!?

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Tuff

Tuff Registered Member

Re: Where to get Body Mount bolts for 1\" body lift?

I did the 1" and the hex bolts don't bother me. I can take some more pictures if you want.

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

A few pic's would be great!
    70~K5 just told me that if i ordered the ORD kit (which i did) it comes with the bolts! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So i guess maybe i've wasted half the day searching for bolts that will come in the kit later this week.

Were you able to find all the bolts in grade 8 or only grade 5?

4. Tuff

Tuff Registered Member

I used the bolts ORD sent. It was a fairly easy project. I'll take some picture this afternoon of the inside.

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

When i replace my mounts i ended up just going back and forth to OSH untill all the bolts were replaced. Most of them are carrage bolts but not all.
    Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I like your thought process about getting the "right" parts in the correct strength rating.....

If you have any links to sources (even if I have to buy 50 bolts!) I'd like to see them. I assumed the OSH bolts would be OK, but knowing now that they're only GR 2.....that's not cool!!!

7. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I just recived my 1" kit from ORD. It comes with hex head bolts and, allthread? WTF is up with that?

Ryan, are you doing body mounts at the same time?

8. mkmiller

mkmiller 1/2 ton status

Ryan,
    I did a 1" lift and got the correct bolts online. I believe the place was called Bolt Depot. they will let you order exactly what kind and grade you need. If that is not the right name, just so a search on an engine for bolts. At least that is what I did. Yes, you have to pay shipping but that is the only way I could find GR. 8 in the length I wanted. None of the local machine shops could get them without buying bulk as described above.
    Matthew

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Cha-Ching!!!! WOW.....check it out!

http://www.boltdepot.com/

Looks like an awesome resource....... NICE JOB! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif