Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to get Body mount bolts for 1" body lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ryan B., Jan 21, 2003.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Where to get Body mount bolts for 1\" body lift

Alright... All this applies to my '72 K5... A first gen...
    But i figured i'd post this in the 2nd gen tech forum also for some help.

I've done plenty of searching...
    The original body mount bolts are Grade 5 carriage bolts except for the #2 position which is a hex head bolt.
    It seems almost impossible to find grade 5 carriage bolts in quanities of like 2 or 4 (less than 50 or 100)
    All the hardware stores have Grade 2 carriage bolts.
    I called some specialty hardware and fastener places and they can only order stuff in mass quanities.
    I thought about LMC ordering original bolts but i need them to be 1" longer for the Aluminum pucks i'm getting.

So....
    I could get some stainless carriage bolts, which the specialty hardware place said stainless carriage bolts will have the same tensile strength as a grade 5 carriage bolt.
    I told the guy i wanted to replace the bolts with what was original which was grade 5 not stainless.

I could replace all the bolts with hex head bolts and then even find the bolts in Grade 8 instead of Grade 5.

So what should i do?
    Get stainless carriage bolts that some guy told me are about the same strength as grade 5.
    Or should i go with hex head bolts and find them all in grade 8?
    Seems like it would be best to go grade 8 bolts throughout, but then the bolts won't fit the same in the bed. I'll have some hex heads sticking up in the bed instead of some carriage bolts just being round above the surface.

Who's done a 1" body lift? What did you do about the body mount bolts!?

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Re: Where to get Body mount bolts for 1\" body lift

Hey Ryan.
    I would go with grade 8 because with a longer bolt and the leverage sideways that the lift could contribute you need something a little stronger.

3. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

The bolts that came with my 1in body were all normal bolts no carriage bolts.

Eric

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Bolts 4 U Might want to try this place.

5. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Check with ORD mine came with the lift, Stephen should have them.

6. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I say call ORD. If they don't have them, try McMaster-Carr. You can order from them online and they get it to you fast. The only problem that I forsee is quantity. You may have to buy as many as 20 to get what you need.

7. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thanks guys. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

I started freaking out because i thought i read on the ord website that the body bushings and 1" body lift didn't come with bolts and hardware.
    So i started trying to find all the bolts i'd need.

I just ordered the kit so it hasn't come yet for me to see if the bolt are in the kit also. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Good deal. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif