Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to get cheap 140 amp + continious duty 12 v solenoid?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dawson444, Jul 26, 2004.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Like the title says. I have tried west marine, and granger, and advance auto parts with no luck. Thanks!

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

would a ford starter selenoid not work?

what for?

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I don't think the battery isolators would go that high, and they're the biggest bad mofo solenoids I can think of.

You trying to do some crazy winch thing?

-- A

4. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Doing my own dual battery conversion. I would assume since my alternator puts out 140 amps, I would need a 140 amp solenoid? Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks!

5. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

If the solenoid goes between the battery and the alternator then 140 amps would be the minimum. If it goes between the battery and the load, and the load consumes more than 140 amps, you will need a solenoid with a rating high enough for that load. A local 4x4 shop has some solenoids hanging with the warn winches, but they look like ford solenoids. I haven't asked yet what the amp rating is.

I am going to make my own battery system also. I have 4 batteries from a semi truck. I will use 1 for the start battery and the other 3 can be connected to the start battery for big loads. I am going to get the power to activate the solenoid for the 3 batteries from the 3 batteries, so if the main battery would go dead the 3 batteries will use their own power to put themselves in the circuit, and I will be able to start the truck. I also plan on using 2 volt meters to monitor each seperately. I don't know why I want so many batteries, I don't even own a winch /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

There is no "cheap" solenoids that will handle that kind of amperage--they are going to run about 50 bucks or more for a good continuous duty one like a Cole-Hersee or similar brand.A ford one is bakelite plastic,they will melt if left on more than a few minites.I use ford ones in my winch remote control on my trucks small crane--it takes 4 of them to make power in and out work.Two of them are partially melted,the posts for the battery cables are kinda sagging on them(they must be the 2 that energize the "Lift" side of the curcuit that has all the strain)--I have them mounted in a metal box under the bed,so the whole truck wont burn up when they fail completely. Grainger has them,but not cheap--a good place to try would be a parts house for semi-trucks,they usually have or can get Cole-Hersee or similar brands.Its not hard to find a solenoid that can handle the amps,its the continuous duty part that gets expensive,most solenoids dont like being engaged for more than a few minites or they get hot. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif