Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to get Cro Molly axle shafts?? (did a search)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5thatShmobs, Jan 31, 2003.

1. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

I searched, but couldn't find much. I have a front 30 spline 10 bolt axle, and Im looking for some HD/cro molly shafts for it. Where did everyone get theirs? I checked into ORD, but their prices seemed just a little excessive. Is it worth it?

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I love mine!
    ORD has the Warn brand, top quality and lifetime, even if you do happen to bust/bend an ear.
    I just read an artical in FourWheeler and I think they said Moser(sp?) sells them too.
    I have already busted a Ujoint and the ears did not bend at all, just destroyed the Ujoint /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Next for me will be CTM Cmolly ujoints and now my point of failure will be my hubs/hub fuzes /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif hellov alott easier to swap on the trail!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Some will say save your money and buy a D60...

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The only thing I am worried about after the install of Chromo shafts and joints is that the next area of brakeage becomes the hubs which are easy, the ring and pinion (SOL), or the driveshaft. I am seriously only worried about starting to break ring and pinion gears or my front locker.

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

One peace of mind you could use would be to run Warn Hub fuses. They are said to strip out before a standard 297 will fail. I busted a 297 witht he fuses in and well they didn't strip out but my wheels were turned a bit. With the wheels turned Warn says all bets are off and it's a crap shoot as to weather the ujoint pops or the fuse strips.
    I would like to think the fuse would strip long before a R&P breaks!??!? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

One more thing on the fuses. Warn says not to run them w/ an automatic locker (Detroit, Lock-Rite) or it will damage them. What I don't understand is how would a hub fuse stripping be different than a shaft breaking?

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Breaking a shaft in a Detroit equipped axle can frag the locker as well.

I broke 297s with the Warn fuses installed also. Never did manage to break a fuse, but I did go through a couple of Warn shafts when the joints broke, splayed one yoke and twisted the other one. Warn warrantied them no questions asked though, so it was cool. The fuses are supposed to be weaker than the joint up until the joint is at a 25 degree angle, BTW. The worse thing is that I busted one R&amp;P even with the fuses installed. I broke one with just the Warn shafts, Spicer 297 non greasable joints and regular hub lockrings, then installed the fuses in hopes of avoiding beaking another one. Didn't work and I busted the second ring gear about 6 months later. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif</font color>

7. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Harley I doubt you are going to break the gears in your front end. You have the top of the line gears in there. I know /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Top of the line gears in a 10 bolt vs. 39.5x18 Boggers? I think the Boggers will win... I had Factory GM gears the irst time, and Precisions the second time around. </font color>

9. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I had Warn Fuses in when I was running with the stock open carrier, but now that I have a LockRite in the front I can't run them. Otherwise when the fuse goes the locker goes too. I am interested to see what starts to go when people with Warn axles &amp; CTM joints start braking things. I am interested to see if it is the hubs, the R&amp;P, or the driveshaft.

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i spent mad cash building my 10 bolts up back in the day... chrome moly shafts f/r, new 4.56 gears, full floater kit, warn premium hubs, trutracs f/r etc etc etc... for all the $ I had in them I coulda bought a D60+ff14b (what i have now). If you are going to stay 36" tires or less, then built and well maintained 10 bolts are fine. for anything more, just go 1 ton and get it over with.

j

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Ok, Warn just made such a big deal about the warning and I didn't see a diff between poping hub, fuse, or shaft.

13. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

randy's ring &amp; pinion also makes cromoly front shafts out of the same material as the warn shafts and I believe they also have the same warranty. I haven't asked them if the cost is the same for 30 spline, but you can give them a call: 1-800-292-1031. They are just over $300 stub to stub /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.