Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to get DT8000 shocks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Who sells DT8000's on-line? I can't find anyplace. Well, I found the manufacturer site, but they refuse to respond to my E-mail requests asking what the correct shocks are for my application.

I really want to replace my RS5000's with something softer!

Anyone tried the Edelbrock shocks? I can find people selling those, but I have no good recommendations.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

West Texas Offroad sells the D-Tech's. The owner (Matt) is a member on this site. His user name is TheLakeRat. If a search for West Texas OffRoad doesn't help you could find his contact info in his profile.

Rene

3. Mastiff

[ QUOTE ]
    West Texas Offroad sells the D-Tech's. The owner (Matt) is a member on this site. His user name is TheLakeRat. If a search for West Texas OffRoad doesn't help you could find his contact info in his profile.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I found the web site, but it doesn't mention anything about general products, just a special steering mod or something. I'll dig up his profile.

4. tRustyK5

Give Matt or Lisa a call...good people and they'll treat ya right!/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif They do sell D-tech shocks even if it doesn't say so on their site.

rene

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

summitracing.com

part number doe-8403

-- Mike

6. Mastiff

[ QUOTE ]
    summitracing.com

part number doe-8403

-- Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Why 8403? I think I need 3 different part numbers for a truck with front duals. Summit doesn't even acknowledge that they have any off-road shocks unless you type in the exact part number (just following Doetsch Tech through their links only showed street shocks).

7. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Summit sells them just doesn't have them all listed...and right now they are $35.39 ea. I haven't called WTO yet to get their prices

8. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

The P/N listed are for the longest travel shocks that can be "Retrofitted" by using the extended front shock towers (only 1 pair in front) and possibly some modifications to the rear upper mounts. That is not the "Direct replacement" shocks. The shocks tend to limit the travel of the suspension, therefore some like to run the long shocks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Mastiff

[ QUOTE ]
    The P/N listed are for the longest travel shocks that can be "Retrofitted" by using the extended front shock towers (only 1 pair in front) and possibly some modifications to the rear upper mounts. That is not the "Direct replacement" shocks. The shocks tend to limit the travel of the suspension, therefore some like to run the long shocks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I just learned this the hard way. I've been having trouble with the upper shock mount on the rear driver's side for some time. The light finally went off when I noticed that the mount was angled down, so I checked full droop, and sure enough, my RS5000's are limiting the travel. This does not seem like a good thing! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I bought the whole lift kit from Rancho, why didn't they know this would happen? Now my upper shock mount is damaged, and this was the source of irritating noise for some time now, that I couldn't find.

I'm not up to fabricating new shock mounts. I want to find some that will work with the factory mounts if possible. I doubt I'm limited at full stuff, so a longer shock should work... I think... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

If I measured right, this RS5000 maxes out at 26.5", so I'll make sure the next set is longer than that.

10. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

The front shock mounts look easy to convert.
    Buy the Ford Truck towers, about $10-15/ea, remove the old mounts, bolt these in place and trim them.

Lots of info on this site.
    Try here and then do a extended tower or ford tower search and you should find more info. I will be doing conversion when I do my lift. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Shock Tower Review

11. tRustyK5

The boys at Rancho are about as smart as a sack of hammers when it comes to the shocks they supply with their kits. Pro-Comp make Rancho look like suspension genius's/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif My buddy's 4" Pro-Comp kit came with shocks...the front shocks would not extend far enough to bolt up at ride height. Yes their front springs are stiff, but they should allow for some droop.../forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Be careful you don't get shocks that are too long or your upper mounts will break off the other direction as the shock bottoms out. Best to remove the rear shocks and run it up a ramp as far as it'll go, then measure the shortest distance on one side and the longest distance on the other side.

Rene

12. Mastiff

[ QUOTE ]
    Be careful you don't get shocks that are too long or your upper mounts will break off the other direction as the shock bottoms out. Best to remove the rear shocks and run it up a ramp as far as it'll go, then measure the shortest distance on one side and the longest distance on the other side.

[/ QUOTE ]

What ramp? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif It'd be fun to make one, but I'd have no place to store it anyway.

My current Ranchos are 16-26.5" in back and 14-22.25" in front. They are both limiting my droop. In the front, with my longer bumpstop, I have at least 3" more than I need on the short side. I mean, the distance to my bumpstop is about 3.5", but I have 7" of shock compression left to go.

So, I think I'll get the DT8368's for the rear, which go 17-29.5". This gives 3.25" more droop and only costs 1" in compression. In front, I'll go to DT8265's which go 14.5-24.5" gaining me 2.25" in droop and only costing 0.5" in stuff.

I could also go with DT8333, which goes 15.5-26.5". That gets me 4.25" in droop for 1.5" in stuff... Hmm. Tough call. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif