Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where to get e-brake cables for my caddy calipers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beater74, Sep 4, 2002.

1. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i'm doing a disc conversiom on my 14 bolt and i'm try to figure how or where to get cables that will hook from the caddy calipers to the rest of the e-brake cable assembly. i've searched here and all i've come up with is TSM and they recommend a company called custom cables 562-949-0455. has anybody delt with them or is there any other source for these cables?

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

[cricket]

[cricket]

[cricket]

[cricket]

bueller------ bueller anyone ------anyone /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

3. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Try these guys.They make custom e-brake cables.
    http://www.controlcables.com/
    Control Cables
    13230 E. Firestone Rd., Unit K
    Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670-7075
    562-802-1122

4. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

DUUUH...helps if I read your whole post.I see you know about these guys already.I havn't dealt with them but heard they do good work.
    Sorry
    Here's what I found:
    http://www.push-pull.com/

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm eventually going to do the caddy calipers on my 10 bolts, and my dads got the 14bolt setup, just not on yet.

Anyways, if you can get some cables that are the right length to join the foot lever cable to the calipers (a "middle" cable if you will) then perhaps stock cadillac ends will work?

The cables themselves are pretty standard on cars, the only difference is the way the cables terminate, for calipers or drum.

The later Cadillacs (past mid 80's even) used the same arrangement with rear disks, so some to play with/look at should be easily found at wrecking yards.

wonder why the stock 76-78 ElDo cables won't work, the cars are huge, probably every bit as long as a K5. I grabbed the entire brake cable assembly off of the '79 ElDo for my setup, just to make sure I could play with it when the time came...

6. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i'm starting to think about going with a line lock D44 calipers. i don't know /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif what i want/need. i'm gonna try to give customcable a ring to today to see what they can do? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Isn't there a problem with line locks eventually "bleeding off" some of the pressure? I had heard that they were a bad idea to use for an e-brake...

8. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i've heard the good and the bad about line locks. but i think for few time i would really need to depend on one i would only be for short periods of time. but yeh i'm a little scared of them

9. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I'm not sure about your caddy calipers but on my 14 bolt with the larger 76-78 calipers, I was able to use the stock cables. Just had to make the brackets. Steve Fox did the same thing.

10. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

shawn i'm don't quite follow ya, your saying i can use the cable that came off the drums and use them on caddy calipers and just fab up a bracket? or use the cables that come off a caddy.

11. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

On my 12 bolt disc brake swap I was able to modify the orig. e-brake cables.
    -I cut about 2" off one end of each cable.
    -I removed the small spring that is on the end of the orig. cable.
    -Then put a course threaded nut on the end of the cable and smushed it in my vise.
    -On the e-brake cable bracket(on the 84 Eldorado caliper I used) I enlarged that hole slightly so the stock cable retainers(the thingy that normally keeps the cable in the brake drum)would fit.
    -I then slipped the larger Eldorado return springs over the orig. cable and slipped the end of the cable into the Eldorado e-brake lever on the caliper.
    This has worked for me although the e-brake is a little weak.It will hold the truck when in drive but give it a little gas and the truck WILL move.
    You can see pic's of my disc brake swap here
    Here is a crappy pic.
    [​IMG]