Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to get exhaust Ypipe

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 6.2puller, Feb 6, 2006.

1. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Every parts store around here stocks Walker and they don't seem to have a Y pipe for a 88 V3500 with 454. They have one for that app with a 350 and it is almost identical but being SBC it is not wide enough to get from one side of the BBC to the other. If I can't find one soon I think I will either get the SBC one and weld in a pc to make it wider or get a pre TBI Ypipe and weld on a O2 sensor bung.
    Anyone gone through this and what did you find out?

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have never had to deal with what you are doing yet, but I may in the near future, which is why your post caught my attention. I think you should go with the pre TBI because it is much easier to cut hole for the O2 Sensor, than it would be to add a length of pipe to the correct length.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Walker...

We had Walker pipes and mufflers at one store I worked at..the factory rep told me Walker won't bother making a pipe if less than 10,000 vehicles exist with a certain motor/tranny combo..I guess it takes that many for them to "break even" on tooling costs?..:confused:

I'd try calling around at other stores,see if anyone stocks Arvin or AP/Maremont,they might list it..I know a few stores local to me carry those
    brands..
    ..you could have one bent up at a good muffler shop,but it will cost plenty..have you tried a Chevy dealer??..

I've heard diesel exhaust pipes work on a BBC too,but I have no personal experience..I think diesels are "duals" only too,no "Y" pipes used on them..

I had to "narrow" the y-pipe that was on the 86 G10 van motor I put in my 79 C10..had it all in and bolted up..when I got in the truck to move it..it wouldn't come out of park!:doah: ..y-pipe was hitting the tranny shifter lingake!.a few sawsall cuts,a sleeve of pipe,and a few zots from my arc welder solved that problem quickly!..:crazy:

4. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

I can tell you that the 6.2 exhaust for the 83 era does not fit the BBC manifolds on my 88. I tried that route to see about going dual exhaust. I would rather stay with the single 3" if I can cause their isn't much room with the 205 back their and dual sattle tanks.

5. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

ran into this exact problem several months back when I built the v3500s big block,,, they are no longer made... I went to my friendly exhaust guy and he fabbed one... it wasnt cheap... 150 IIRC... but it was a thing of beauty,,, it was my only option...
    even now our trucks are being obsoleted from many parts vendors...

and now with 500 miles on it Im tearing everything out for the cummins conversion...... evenutally... so no pipe available yet... I want to keep it moving as long as possible

6. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Have you tried giving Summit a call? I would think they would have something. www.summitracing.com If they carry a Y pipe it will be at your door within 2 days for under $10 s/h.