Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to get factory bolts? Or determine grade.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BozoWise, Jul 20, 2005.

1. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I need to get the four factory bolts to bolt a 205 to a th350. The 4 bolts used to bolt up my 203 are too short to reuse. I could go to the local hardware shope and get some but not sure on what grade to get.

I am also needing to find a 27 spline drivesleeve. I think ORD might have that one.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

GM dealer books..

You can find the bolt sizes and grades in a factory parts manual,the parts counter at the GM dealer has the books(might be on microfilm now that its the 21st century)...they can supply the bolts too,but most likely it would be a special order and you'd have to wait,pay up front,and eat them if they happen to be the wrong ones.. :doah:

I'd just go to a hardware store or auto supply store and buy the bolts --after you determine the length,diameter,and thread,just pick out the correct ones in either grade 5 or grade 8 and you should have no troubles at all...the OEM bolts have markings on the heads to identify the grade. grade 2's have no lines--grade 5 has 3 lines,--grade 8 will have 6 lines..it wont hurt to use grade 8's in place of weaker grade 2 or 5 bolts,but dont put a weaker one where a grade 5 or 8 should be,and you'll be OK..grade 8's are overkill for most applications,but are cheap insurance and peice of mind!--they rust away more slowly too!.. :crazy:

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

just go to napa or hardware store and get length diameter you need in grade 8 and be done with it lol

youre worrying too much :haha:

:D

good luck

4. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

When replacing bolts, it is generally best to match what you are replacing. Replacing a bolt with a stronger one is not always safe. Harder bolts tend to be more brittle and may fail in specific applications. Grade 5 bolts are case hardened. This means that the outside part of the bolt has been hardened but that the bolt was not heated enough to harden the inside portion. This creates a bolt that is fairly hard but not as brittle as a fully hardened bolt. Grade 8 bolts are fully hardened. This means the bolt has been hardened all the way through. This creates a bolt that is very hard but somewhat brittle. Grade 8 bolts are more likely to snap off than bend under extreme loads.

The factory bolts are grade 8 in this application. I found where my shop guys stashed the 203 bolts :doah:

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

While I agree that your bolt science is correct, I have to also agree with R72K5 that you are way overthinking this.

6. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I know I am a bit anal, but hey that is why I get-ir-done right the first time.

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i used to think this to, but after reading billivista's tech article on nuts and bolts, it turns out this my not be compleatly true.
    article
    top of page 9

8. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

I read a similar artiole (ill try and find it) and discovered the same thing. A grade 8 bolt is stronger, in all aspects and under all forces, period. I understand the train of thought as it'll bend before it breaks, but this plays a very small role (none really) in overall strength of the bolt.

9. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

10. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

11. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

nope read the third section of the article