Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to get glass and plexi?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fortcollinsram, Nov 12, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I am trying to find some safety glass and some PlexiGlass...Any of you guys know where I can pick some up? Thanks for the input...

Chris

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I worked at an ACE hardware for 2.5 years. We cut, both .25" and .100" wide, plexi to size. If you don't have an ACE near you that carryies acrylic glass (plexi), try a Home Depot type place. To cut plexi, you can use a fine tooth circular saw, otherwise just score it 4-5 times with a razor blade and snap it off on the edge of a table. They do make a special tool/cutter (like $2) to score plexi, and if the store you go to has one...they work well.

By the way, safety glass is plexiglass. If you're looking for tempered glass, that you'd have to get at/order from a glass store.

3. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yea id like to find some plexi in the garage, and cut it to fit the head lights so if i hit somthing, like a garbage can it dosnt break the light. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Any descent glass shop should have both. You can get laminated glass which is also saftey. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Why do I get the feeling that I don't appreciate/respect the type of "wheeling" you do. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

6. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

no clue /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif, all i know is that you let me live my life, and i will let you live your life, and no conflict will arise, and if a garbage can blows in the middle of the main road in my town and im doing 40mph, im not gunna stop for the garbage can, infact i hit one and it flew up in the air 10 feet and landed in the peoples yard, it was there for a few good days, we would drive by and laugh at it, good times, good times. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Cool, thanks guys..I am gonna be making a windshield and also my roomie wants to make a fish tank outa the stuff...

thanks again...

Chris

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I'm not telling you how to live your life...in fact I didn't see that at all from what I wrote.
    What I am worried about is the kind of reputation us offroaders/all people with lifted trucks are getting because of the kind of stuff that you describe.

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Is this windshield for your truck??? It won't be DOT legal if it's standard plexiglass. There are other standards you have to meet. I believe a windshield must be tempered glass, nothing else...but I may be wrong. Plus, you won't want plexiglass for your windshield because it becomes hazy with age, and scratches easily - unlike glass.
    A fish tank is a good use. Depending on size, he'll probably want to use .25" because the other stuff is pretty flexible. Oh, and lots of silicone.

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

11. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

Stop by LOL. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I keep both in stock.

12. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    cut it to fit the head lights so if i hit somthing, like a garbage can it dosnt break the light.

[/ QUOTE ]
    only you would have to worry about something like that /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif