Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where to get new tires

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RedneckK5, Nov 7, 2002.

1. RedneckK5

RedneckK5 Registered Member

ok i am ready to order my new tires and wheels. but where should i get them. i am thinking of one of those package deals from desert rat. do they have the best prices. how about shiping. should i just stick with the local discount tire shop. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've had real good luck with Discount personally.

I like the fact that I could get a warranty on the tires I bought. (although I paid a bit extra) I already have one new BFG AT ($135) that I had a years worth of driving on, that took a nail through the sidewall. I'd have to say that the cost of the "insurance" for the life of the tire is worth it.

Anyways, thats only if they'll warranty what you want. If no one will warranty the tires for road hazards, go for the cheapest seller.

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Tire Barn around here, let me put insurance and road hazard on the left front tire. So more than likely if you hit something its with that tire and if not you rotate them ;->
    Package deals usually are better but you have to watch your shipping price, wait till they have a free shipping deal, catch them at a show, or do some wheel and dealing with the local places.
    good luck, J

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah I *could* do that, but I wonder how that would go over when I went in to have that tire replaced every year? : )

Their price didn't appear more expensive than anyone elses, so I decided to use them.

5. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

Discount tire is hard to beat. The shipping will be costly from a mail-order and you won't get the service/warranty.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

personnaly I dealt with some local shops then discovered TIRERACK.COM
    They are great, you can actually compare tires by price, performance, waranty, and wear, etc....
    Their prices are the best I found, better than discount tires, and tires.com
    Also you don't pay tax which was equal to the shipping in my case.
    They waranty tires, and they have nice package deals. Check them out before you buy you might be like me.
    I already got 7 sets from them for my different vehicles.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I bought my tires and rims through desert rat. They beat out local tire shops by a longshot even after shipping. BTW shipping for 4 35''s mounted and balanced was only like $60.

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Everyone says not to, but I bought from 4WPW, because they had the best "total" price that I could find. Mostly because they are able to cut prices way back on Pro Comp tires. If you want another brand, they may not be the best. They have a bad reputation for crappy customer service.

If you can print out the deal that you can get online, places like discount will usually match the "total" price so that you can get lifetime balance and such and not have to wait on shipping.

I gotta tell you. It IS a happy day when a semi pulls up in front of your house and unloads a new set of bigger tires and wheels ready to bolt onto your truck. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just try not to smile /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If you're getting Swampers then PM 90blzr. He quoted me a price for 42s that were $150 lower than anyone else. He can also get blems from Interco if they are available.

He also has some tires that people ordered and then didn't pick up, he's selling them all pretty dang cheap. A couple sets of 33s (TSL radials and Trxus muds) and one set of 38" boggers for 16s. If you give him a call tell him that I referred you! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif</font color>

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I bought one set from 4WParts, and you are right I bought the procomps when it was buy 3 get one free and I couldn't find a better price anywhere.
    As for their customer service, I found it was great, but I guess each shop is different.
    The guys here in Sacramento are great, and by now they know me very well $$$$.

11. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

I've bought 3 sets of tires from Desert Rat (39's, 42's,and 35ssr's, &amp; 2 friends have bought 44's), and I've been really happy with the price and the courtesy.

12. BlazinNewTrails

BlazinNewTrails Registered Member

I just bought my 35" Mud Kings from 4wpw for $122 a tire zero shipping, $15 handling fee.
    I then took them to Discount for install since 4wpw was booked up.
    Discount offered me their 50k warranty for $16 a tire. He said if I cut a tire at 49k they replace it free with no prorating.
    He also said next time I need tires to get the best i-net price I can find, and they will match it. Then add $10 for mounting and balancing. Of course you will pay tax... but all in all not a bad deal!
    They were very quick and had very good customer service even though I bought the tires from someone else!
    I highly recommend them!!

13. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Registered Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I gotta tell you. It IS a happy day when a semi pulls up in front of your house and unloads a new set of bigger tires and wheels ready to bolt onto your truck. Just try not to smile

"

[/ QUOTE ] I don't know, I drive a freight truck and hate to deliver stuff that I can't afford /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. 3 weeks ago I delivered a Blown 454 and an efi sbc from the Holley co. To a big car show at the Bristol race track, they were sooo sweet. Now I'm looking for the cheapest place for 8 lug 10x15's