Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where to get part time kit for 203...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Oct 14, 2001.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I know 4wpw.com has it but they have a bunch of stuff... some chain saver? and a fe others... I thought the kit was only like 100 bucks... they show the kits at like 350 bucks... I could be looking at the wrong place... Some one have alink to the right one???

2. Medman74K5

Medman74K5 Registered Member

Try summit racing.

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

4. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

There are 2 different kits. The expensive one that you mention, and then the 50.00 one. Go with the 50.00 one. It serves the same purpose as the expensive one. It is simpler also. That is the one I have on mine and I also got it from 4WPW.

<font color=red>"SETTING OFF ALARMS IN A CITY NEAR YOU!"</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BigTex-Mean-Machine>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BigTex-Mean-Machine</a>

5. chevrules

chevrules 1/2 ton status

You can get the kit with or without hubs,probably just get the cheaper one as you probably have picked up some hubs already.You don't need the chain saver kit unless your chain is skipping in 4WD.

chevrules...always has and always will

6. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Pep Boyz has them if you can dodge all the neonz and spoilers for Hondas.

The difference in the $$$ kit and the cheapie is that the chep kit just locks the differential gears in the t-case together whereas the $$$ lit includes a 1 piece shaft to replace them.

Some kits come without locking hubs too. You can run without them but it is nice to be able to unlock as this is good for a couple MPG.

Still Poundin' "pavment" after all these years!!! [​IMG]

7. chevrules

chevrules 1/2 ton status

heh RedDwarf,I have never seen the 1 piece shaft you are talking about....got any links so I can see.

chevrules...always has and always will

8. Tatman

Tatman Registered Member

New at this... just identified my transfer as a 203... so what is the difference in full time and part time? The front driveshaft doesn't turn in hi or low and has locking hubs.

Brian
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.saddletramps.com/BlazerK5.htm>www.saddletramps.com/BlazerK5.htm</a>

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Tatman, sounds like you already have a part-time kit. Without it, the front shaft will always turn and you can't unlock the front hubs (or you would go nowhere). "Full Time" just means that you are always in 4 wheel drive. 4Hi/4Lo allow the tcase internal differential to be "open" and the front/rear drive shafts can turn at different rates. Hi-Lock/Lo-Lock make the case diff like a spool so that the front/rear shafts ALWAYS turn at the same rate (generally off-road only).

Also, the cheap kit is not nearly as strong as the more expensive kit (not talking about kits with or without hubs). Look back at some of Grims older posts. I seem to remember him talking about problems/damage caused by the cheaper kits (which basically just stick a fork into the spider gears to jam them if I remember correctly).

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

10. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

You got a link to the expensive kit???

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Sorry, I didn't keep up with them, not having a 203 myself... Look back at Grims posts (search for "203 Grim-Reaper" with search option "AND" over the last 6 months or longer) or PM him. I've been gone for a while but, as far as I know, Grim is *THE* authority on 203s here.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.