Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to get PS fittings

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NITRO, Sep 30, 2004.

1. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

I'm changing my PS box from an 84 to a 79 box. The fittings for the high pressure side are different. I can't find them anywhere in town at any local auto place including napa and the local machine shops. The fittings between the two boxes have a slight variation in size and threads. So now im stuck trying to find one. any ideas as to where one can be had?

NITRO

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There are no conversion fittings. You're trying to put an SAE box in there and hook up a metric power steering pump.

I'd get yourself the nut out of a pump. I recently switched mine to the SAE style so I could use the old style power steering pump.

Pump needs to match the box that you have. There isn't any way around this. Swap the nut on the back of your pump and get a new hose.

3. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

You arent understanding me man. Dont worry about the pump, I already got hydro lines made and have the tools to flare the lines and such. all i strictly need is the nut that screws into the PS box.

NITRO

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It's just an SAE flare if it's a 79. It's rather large, though.

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

inverted flare
    I do not know WTF he is talking about either /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

well i went through my old stash of hoses and whatnot and ended up finding the fitting that I needed. I will try to get pics asap so ya'll know what I'm talking about.sorry for the confusion... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

NITRO

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I dont know which fitting your looking for,but the other guys are right,any GM under 1980 had regular SAE flare fittings,after that they used metric fittings with an "O" ring--I have seen just fittings with a short peice of metal tubing listed in the back of the Omega brand power steering hose catolog,probably for custom hose applications--most likely a special order item.If you need an SAE flare fitting,a peice of 3/8 brake line tubing is the correct fitting and flare for a pre-80 box or pump--I used a 12 inch peice on my P/S pump to adapt the pressure hose from a six cylinder to the V8 P/S pump--worked slick!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

8. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

They are called "saginaw" fittngs. Napa has them in the fuel line repair section. They use them for EFI fuel lines as well. They are metric thread.
    T.J.
    www.tjsperformance.com

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    They are called "saginaw" fittngs. Napa has them in the fuel line repair section. They use them for EFI fuel lines as well. They are metric thread.
    T.J.
    www.tjsperformance.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are for '82 and up.