Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to get steel fuel line

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chris Demartini, Jun 23, 2002.

1. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">Where can I get some steel fuel line from? I'm putting in my 31 gallon tank this week and I need to hook it up to my TPI fuel rails.

Also, can I use 3/8" rubber fuel hose for the return, or does that have to be steel too? I think theres only 4 or 5 PSI going through it.

2. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I might be able to get you some stainless line through my cousin, at cost, of course. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

If youre wanting the braided stainless, Speedway motors has premade lengths or custom cut ones.

4. Chris Demartini

<font color="blue">How much is this braided stuff? I just found some 3/8" steel in a 25' length for $20 in summit. Pete, can I use the same flare and bending tools for stainless as regular steel?

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Napa sells it in 6-8' sections, that is ALL you need. Pre-assembled flare fittings are included, and you just need a union to hook two different sections together. The return can be 5/16", and can be rubber - that's what I used - stainless braided covering the rubber.

6. Chris Demartini

<font color="blue">Do these peices have the correct fittings for my fuel filter? I got one for an 87 K5. Are these lines universal, or vehicle specific?

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I just used the steel brake line sections that you can buy at the parts store. I figured that if it can withstand the requirements of a braking system, then it should never be taxed at all just dealing with the measly 45-50 PSI of a TPI fuel system. I used the same stuff for the return line, simply because it was easier to route. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Not sure, my TPI setup has the typical/standard IROC metric 14mm fittings.........so my local hydraulic supply store made me an adapter to go from standard flare fittings to the metric hookups to the supply lines. As far as pickup, you decide if you are going in tank pump or external, either way should be easy.

9. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Stainless will be quite a bit more $$$

10. Chris Demartini

<font color="blue">I have an 87 K5 tank and sending unit with a 87-91 camaro fuel pump (fit right in). The only threaded fittings I need is for the fuel filter, the rest I will connect with rubber hose.

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

*Personally*, I'd avoid rubber as much as possible. From the tank to the filter near the tank rubber, then steel line all the way to the engine bay, direct to the high pressure rubber hoses. Just my opine /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

12. Chris Demartini

<font color="blue">Thats how I was going to do it. I am mounting the fuel filter to the front gas tank crossmember and connecting it to the sender with rubber hose, then all steel to the engine bay, then connecting that to the fuel rail with rubber hose. I have some 3/8" high pressure EFI hose I "borrowed" from work /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif