Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where to get tach/fuel gauge?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Dec 22, 2006.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i was searching and was wondering where i can get the tach/fuel gauge. we went to a junk yard today and found a complete thing out of a c6500, but the guy at the yard wouldnt let us just pull the cluster:mad: anyways, where can i find the tach/fuel gauge combo? (pictured below)

[​IMG]

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Hey, nice set of gauges there :wink1:

What the heck else did they want you to pull with it? It's pretty stand alone. Some of them don't like pulling individual gauges, and I understand that, but the whole pod, it comes right out, speedo and wires just disconnect, no cutting.

Yards and eBay are the only places I've seen 'em. :o

3. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

would that bolt right into a 88 suburban?

and whats the guage in the lower left for?

4. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

ive got a LMC truck catalog and they mention a factory tach but they have every gauge but that. are there any other resto places that could possibly have it?? i check year one and no luck and also gm goodwrench.

5. 73k5blazer

The Tach/Fuel combo gauge was only found on Medium Duty trucks.

The gauge to the lower left is an Air Gauge. Useful for On-Board Air systems

Here's a thread about the pod I built up (which is the pod muddybuddy has pictured):
    Clicky

It will 'bolt' into any year of our vehicles, tach requires runinng some additional wires (if you don't have a tach already that is), and you'll have to re-map the pins in the connector on your truck. If you didn't have any gauges at all, and just have idiot lights, to switch to gauges you'd need to swap sending units as well.
    Newer trucks, like an '88, may have a electronic speedo with the little box hanging off it, which you'd need to retain, so you'd need to find a 'newer' medium duty that has the proper pod (the plastic housing) to hold it.

6. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

nope still have the annoying mechanical speedo, because on cold days the speedo head must be worn because i hear a loud screeching sound for the first 15 minutes or so until the truck warms up. REALLY impresses the ladies.

7. 73k5blazer

By electronic, I mean, it's still mechanical, but has a little extra drive (like a mini PTO!) that a pickup screwes to, that pickup is wired to a little green box (about 2x3x0.5") that hangs off the back of the cluster.

8. muddybuddy

i duno, the guy didnt wana sell anything off of the c6500, retarded...it was back in the yard and was beat up...but the cluster was nice :(

9. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Do you specifically want the fuel/tach together like the pic? You could use a light truck tach if you don't mind the fuel gauge being in the clock spot. There hard to find for a reasonable price but Ebay is full of them.

10. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Saw one of those in a yard up here, never saw one before. I don't get many chances to go yard'n anymore, but I'll look and see what I can find. That pic has an 80s gauge cluster with 70s tach/gauge. How bout one with a vacuum gauge??

11. muddybuddy

b454rat, if you find one of them let me know, im interested :) id really like to know my rpms with the diesel.

12. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Muddy, I've got a smoked 70's tach, and a NOS small fuel guage if you want to mess with them. There is a link around here somewhere to a guy who repairs tachs.
    Jimbo

13. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

i'd like to find one of the small fuel gauges to put down in the lefthand clock spot. run two separate gauges for my dual tanks!

14. muddybuddy

now that would be cool