Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where to get throttle respnose???????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jones, Jun 6, 2004.

1. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

i have a basically stock rebuild 350ci w/camelback heads,E-brock 500cfm(from a stock 305ci),average stock replacement dist.E-brock performer intake,tired(or not)700r4/208,3.42's?(i think)can U say NO BALLS!engine pulls hard,trans. shifts well,but truly lacking power of any kind from take off, cruising,passing or screwing around.100%gutless...but very reliable...and not much fun to play with.my big Q:WHY?engine and heads are fresh rebuild,carb.,dist.,plugs,wires,all new.i need throttle response and don't know where to get it.have you any tips,tricks,opinions,or answers?THX in advance!

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Possible gearing problem?

DOH!

guess i missed that line. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

3. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    3.42's?(i think)can U say NO BALLS!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Problem!^ What size tires are you running?

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

My Burb came originally with 3.42, it wasn't really wasn't that bad, then i went to 3.73 and only noticed a slight difference, now at 4.10 there is a definate difference. I am running about a 32" tire.

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

3.42's?(i think)can U say NO BALLS!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Problem!^ What size tires are you running?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    31-10.5-15 ON CHROME STEEL

[/ QUOTE ]

it might be the 500 cfm jetted for a 305 on the 350, a 350 needs at least a 600 IMHO a 650 would be better. plus your not getting the fuel required for the 350 from the smaller jets. just my 2 cents

6. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

The gearing might ge a problem.

I had a sluggish response in my blazer after a rebuild. I set the timing with a vacuum gage, and it ended up higher than I had set it at. The throttle response had a big time improvement.

7. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

thanks for such a qiuck reply,guys!i was also thinking gearing probs.i have 4.10's(14ff/d44)still in a 76 k20 and 4.11's(d60r/d44f)on a pallet at work that are from a72 k20.also,i have an E-brock 1405 non-EC,probably needs rebiult and i would prefer electric choke.after reading the air filter post below,i'm going to do away with the open element and go back to stock.BTW,I really dont need two sets of 3/4t.axels.but i can't post in the "for sale"section,either. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

BTW when running that e-brock carb, is your TV cable for your 700r4 set right so it downshifts properly. I have a smaller motor and highway gears and have decent power and throttle response, I run a Q-jet though with much smaller primaries /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

i'm not sure if it's set "right" or not.I've finally got it to where it shifts smoothly at take-off and it shifts pretty good,actually.1st-2nd(25mph)2nd-3rd(45mph).practially have to stand on it to down shift when passing on e-way(and it still doesn't most times)the detent cable is a real PITA to get set up,though.it took alot of trial/error to get it where it's at now.i really don't want to play with it anymore for fear of burning up the trans.at first it was shifting hard 1-2(40+mph)2-3(50+mph)i know that wasn't doing any good thing for the trans.if you or any others think that may be part of the problem,i'll try again.adjust in or out?

10. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

if you have to really stand on it to get it to down shift, then its too loose. i would tighten it up just 1 more click, should be good then.

11. monsterjim

monsterjim 1/2 ton status

It's better to be tight or hard shifting than loose. My tranny guy said start with the peg sticking out about 1/4 inch, start off slow and as soon as you feel it change to 2nd, floor it, if it don't kick down tighten it up more.

12. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

thanks for the input,guys.keep it coming and i'll let ya know whats happening. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

I rebuilt a motor not to long ago board it out slaped some flat tops in and replaced everything else.
    well anyway got it all together and slaped it in a landcruzer whent for a burn and blaaaaaa
    the thing would hardly get up and go /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    wasen't verry happy after a little reasearch we checked the curve in the distributer /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif it was so out to lunch
    after we got a curve kit and threw it in set her up and bango what a difference /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif it would actually pull and pull preaty good to.
    this motor hade a edelbrock carb i think it was a 600 cfm
    your carb is probably too small but will still work you might have to jet it up a bit hope you this helps /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

well,i did a '1 click in'adjustment to the tv cable,slight adjust to throttle cable,and advanced the timing a touch(turned the distributor).i drove it after work and got on it a bit and almost squaked the tires.not that i want to roach my new tires or anything but it would be nice to knoe that it's got the balls to do it anyway.tomorrow another click and i'll see what happens.thanks for the help.much appreciated! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    i drove it after work and got on it a bit and almost squaked the tires

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't FREE performance good /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

16. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    i drove it after work and got on it a bit and almost squaked the tires

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't FREE performance good /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]it's sweet!i've got stock manifolds and single exhaust then i found a set of headers(not sure what they fit,i'm assuming chevy since thats all i've had)little surface rust with collectors and gaskets still in unopened bag.but i don't ever remember buying headers.when i get the ambition i'm gonna try to bolt them up.that would be so awesome!!!