Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where to get tool for ball joints? *UPDATED*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LKJR, Sep 29, 2004.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

*UPDATED REPLY AT BOTTOM*

late 70's dana 44, the upper ball joint has a threaded sleeve thing (camber adjustment?) one side I just used a punch and a hammer to turn it, but the other is rusted and it's not working. where do I get the tool? oreiley's didn't have it and the guys at autozone were too dumb, kept telling me to just use a pickle fork.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

Re: where to get tool for ball joints?

are you trying to take the knuckle off? i have never taken these out to take the knuckle off.

anyway you can get it from snapon for like $20, there is a tool place near me that sells generic ones for $21. id get the snap on one

snap on

3. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Napa carries the tool. I forget the name of it, off hand.

It is the Ball Joint Adjusting Sleve tool or something. There were threads about it here.

A Ball joint removal tool can be purchased at Harbo Freight Tool for Less than $40...

4. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I got my spanner socket from Snap-on.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The spanner socket is what you are looking for. I gave up finding one and just made one out of a deep socket.

That is to adjust ball joint preload. I sugest you read up on it if you want your new ball joints to last.

6. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

7. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Read up on ball joint pre-load here.

Yes you can make one out of a 13/16 deep socket with a grinder in about 20 mins.

8. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I made one out of an 11/16 (IIRC) deep socket.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I made my own tool too--but I wont ever fool with those threaded sleeves again--be forewarned that those threads in the yoke are pretty soft,and get boogerred up fairly easy.My friend who runs an alignment shop told me he only changed those sleeves once on a customers truck,it turned into a real nightmare when the threads stripped out of the yoke--now he only changes the ball joints--my brother has had lots of 4x4's at work need ball joints,he said the same thing-"I never fool with those sleeves"--neither has had any trouble with the ball joints wearing prematurely or any customer comebacks--so I dont think I'll change them anymore if I need balljoints--unless its absolutely nessasary. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

10. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I made my own tool too--but I wont ever fool with those threaded sleeves again--be forewarned that those threads in the yoke are pretty soft,and get boogerred up fairly easy.My friend who runs an alignment shop told me he only changed those sleeves once on a customers truck,it turned into a real nightmare when the threads stripped out of the yoke--now he only changes the ball joints--my brother has had lots of 4x4's at work need ball joints,he said the same thing-"I never fool with those sleeves"--neither has had any trouble with the ball joints wearing prematurely or any customer comebacks--so I dont think I'll change them anymore if I need balljoints--unless its absolutely nessasary. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

They are necessary to change. They are what you use to set balljoint preload. Important if you want your ball joints to last /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

11. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

well got it off, ya'll were right, for some reason I just remembered that piece being screwed onto the ball joint, anyway finally got it off, I think somebody soaked that side of the axle is rust come here spray, lower ball joint was just flat rusted to the axle, after a few (closer to 50) hard wacks on that top BJ it finally broke lose, both ball joints are bad , if they weren't before they are now. so now to figure out how to get that dad gum steering arm off.... stuid rust.

12. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

are you putting a lift in and thats why you need to get the arm off? if not, i have always changed the ball joints will the arm still on, its just too hard to get them off.

13. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

lift is in, crossover, and highsteer.

14. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

You need a pickle fork. Most parts stores will have them. They are pretty cheap too.