Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where to ground 400 watt amp?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by BillyBob, Mar 10, 2002.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

I just made some MDF sidepanels for my truck, and mounted a 400 watt amp right inback of the spare tire carrier. This amp is going to the subs and has a crossover. So, what is the cutoff I should put for the crossover? also, where should I ground it to? I'm going to be using 4 gauge. I know it's kinda overkill, but it's good to have incase I go to a bigger amp.

2. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

well we will need to know what type and size of subs you are going to be using to really give you an idea of cut off points... Also for grounding the general rule is no more then 18 inchs from the amp... If you where in a car i would tell you to ground it to the rear seat belt bolts, but look for something that is tied directly to the frame of the vehicle. This will be the best bet for grounding the amp..

3. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

What about one the huge bolts for the spare tire carrier? Even if you remove the carrier, most folks leave the bolts in place.

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Also remember to use the same size ground wire as your power wire. Anything bolted to the truck should make a pretty good ground. I used the seat mount on my truck which is basically a bolt in the sheetmetal floor with no problems

5. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Just make sure you clean the paint and primer off the metal and have a nice clean shiny spot for the ground. You need to adjust the crossover according to the subs and type of music you listen to (there is no set point that is why they are variable abjustments)