Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to hoist the front of the tub up?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Oct 30, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I'm in the process of taking the body off, and I was wondering where a good place in the front of the tub would be good to attach a chain/rope whatever to so I can hoist it high enough to roll the chassis out. I will be lifting the rear up with the engine hoist unfortunatly, and will have either a 4x6 piece of wood a bit wider than the rear of the body, or a piece of metal tube in the same spot. it would go underneath the area where the body bolts are inbewteen the wheelwells. Then have it bolted to the floor, then have chain come from the engine hoist to the center of the rear, with a piece of chain going to each bolt. Then lift.

The thing I am wondering is for the front, where the front fender bolts on to, there is a lip, would that be strong enough if I put a bolt through it, then used that on each side with the roof mounted hoist to lift up? Or do I need to find a different spot? Maybe under the floor approx. where the front seats are... run a 4x6 or something acroos, then have a chain/rope attached to the ends and at the hoist.The only problem with that, is the angle of the chain, I think it might rub on the doors/roof of the tub and possibly bend it in. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    I'm REALLY thinking out loud, so if this doesn't make sense... thats why /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

well I tried lifting the rear up, but I just used BIG rope... it worked. But the position I was in was half concrete and half wet grass. When I use the roof mounted hoist to lift up the front somewhere, I need to move it back 5 feet so I'm underneath it. So that means my engine hoist is completly on wet grass... so it keeps sinking, and when I lift it, it was to roll forward. Maybe if I can get the front most wheels to hit the concrete it will work /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

When we lifted mine off we put a lifting strap around the body in the rear fender well area. Just basically looped it around the body, over the frame in the center of the wheel wells. The front I used a torch and popped a couple small holes in the bodies subframe in the front. This subrame is on each side just outside the frame and goes forward toward the firewall. I used another hoist and two legged hoisting chain to lift on the front. It worked out really nice.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

would this hoist be okay for lifting the front?
    web page

[​IMG]

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

anyone know if that type of hoist will work? I ran out of time today, so today was a whole day wasted. I'm in a really bad mood now. I tried to do the front a different way, but then I realized it was impossible. So I am all ready to do it tomorrow, I just need to buy that hoist, or find a place that will rent one (I dont think they rent those) aaaagh

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

yea that hoist would work but do you really want to wait till that thing gets shipped to you?? do you have a roof or something you vould attach a chain to, cause if you do you might could just jack up the front of the truck as high as you can then attachh the chain to the front then when you let the truck back down it will pull the fron off, then just use the engine hoist for the real and your done.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

The link was just for reference to what it looks like. The store is 10 minutes from where I live (driving) so I bought it... a hefty 200 bucks. ****, I'm really in debt now /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    I'll give a progress report sometime tomorrow

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The thing I am wondering is for the front, where the front fender bolts on to, there is a lip, would that be strong enough if I put a bolt through it, then used that on each side with the roof mounted hoist to lift up? Or do I need to find a different spot?

[/ QUOTE ]

I opened my doors and ran a strap through the cab.

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

will that warp the cab though? Since it will be supporting half the bodies weight /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. 85mudblazin

where are you going to mount that hoist to?? Can it support the body?? I would be kindove scared about that part.

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I'm going to mount the hoist to a triple joist thing where my deck is attached to, where the carport is underneath. There is 2 holes, 1 on each side of the joist. I will wrap rope or something around it, then hang the hoist off that.

12. 85mudblazin

how much did we decide the tub weighed anyways??

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

around 1,000

14. 85mudblazin

then I would also try and stay away from rope, I would just use some chain, plus rope stretches alot.

15. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I haven't ever had a problem. Be sure to remove the "rain gutter". On truck cabs I always put the strap at the front of the door opening, where the widshield post meets the roof. Maybe on a K5 put the strap at the rearmost of the opening? Just don't put it in the center.

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay, I will put it at as far back as I can through the roof. How is the rain gutter come off? A few screws?

17. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Yes, there are some small screws kinda inside the channel, look down from the roof and you can see them.

18. cybrfire

I don't think with blazers the rain gutter has screws. I think its glued on or formed in or something. Maybe welded. Pickups have them screwed on. All my blazers that I have owned they don't have screws.

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

oh, will it be okay if I just leave it on then?

20. cybrfire

Probably squash them.