Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to hook up cab lights

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Cornfield creations, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

Working on one of the projects. I got a wire for the cab lights and one for the light in the tach. I went to hook them up in the fuse block to come on with the rest of the lights, but all the words are gone on the block. I cannot find a diagram for the truck, its an 84. Would it be possible to wire them into the switch or will it blow fuses? I don't want a separate toggle switch for them, just to come on when the outside lights do.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

should be..

The fuse block has a spot marked "LPS" that is hot only when the lights are on,,I know your letters wore off,but my wiring book shows it being the lowermost one on the left side(closest to the drivers kick panel)on the ones with blade style fuses....I'm thinking my older trucks with glass fuses had it higher up--a test light will make it easy to tell which one it is.. :crazy:

3. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

highjack, so if I have 4 aftermarket gauge lights, can I just splice them together and plug them into the lps? do I need to get some small inline fueses?

4. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Try again!

I replied early this morning,but AOL cut my connection just as I posted I guess--computer was a PITA last night..

Anyway,the "LPS" tab in the fuse box is designed for just that purpose--to send power to additional dash lights for add on gauges,or other lights you only want on when the lights are on..an inline fuse is a good idea..only need 5 amp fuse for gauge lights,maybe 10 amp for cab marker lights..

I would avoid hooking up anything to that tab that draws over 10 amps,unless you use a relay,and use that tap to activate it..don't hook up KC daylighters directly to that tab.. don't ask me how I know... :doah: :blush: :whistle: ..

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Check your headlight switch connector for a brown wire. Some are saying their harness has a brown wire that is just hanging out that was for cab lights. Haven't seen it myself, but worth checking.

7. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

Well the problem I had was that I couldn't read the words on the fuse block so I didn't know where the lmps was, or if it even had a tab on an 84