Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where to hook up cb radio????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90k5beast, May 12, 2004.

1. 90k5beast

90k5beast Registered Member

hey im just installing a cb radio and i cant find the place in the fuse box to place it ive been using a test light but nothing has been working is there a known place to put it? if not where have yall put it. i have a 1990

2. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

I tied into the radio fuse with a piggyback spade connector. I love those things, pull the fuse (blade type) hook the spade connector over the fuse; put said fuse back and presto....power. I mounted my CB on the front of the console. It's out of the way and I can hear it clearly.

I also tied a spade connector into the AC fuse to provide 12V power to my ALDL cable.

3. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

Tie it to a constant hot. I used my cig lighter.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Almost all of the single prong connectors at the top of the fuse panel are either 12V constant or 12V ignition.

On a '90, I would bet that most of the terminals are already "occupied" for all of the power accessories (PDL/PWL, rear window, etc) but the connectors are universal on all 80's (and a bit later) GM cars, and there are "piggyback" connectors easily found in the donor cars.

No better way to get power than the way GM did it.