Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to hook up tranny and oil temp gauges

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chev4life, Jul 29, 2003.

1. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

I have tranny and oil temp gauges that I want to hook up, but I am looking for places to install the senders for them. Are there any places on my tranny and engine (700r4, 350tbi) that have plugs that I can just remove and install the senders in??? I am really dont want to have to fus with drilling holes and other crap like that...if there is a good place to do this please let me know. I found a three areas that looked promising on the tranny, one on the driver side two on the pass...they all looked like they had threaded in plugs...would these areas work??? (they are in the tranny just above where the pan bolts in just behind the bell housing)

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

They are pressure tap points, and yes, they will work.

Only issue I see with using them is that you won't see "standard" oil temps like everyone else does. Say where you install it is a "hot" location, and you see 220* all the time, yet others see 180*, but they are measuring on the cooler line *to* the tranny. You'll just have to be careful not to interpret that as being problematic.

Just like factory gauges that some people don't trust as being accurate, accuracy is far less important than being an indicator of change. If your tranny temp runs 220* consistently, then you decide to tow a 5000lb trailer, and notice it climbing over 240*, you have a problem.

I would imagine the oil pan drain plug would be about the ideal location for a temp sender, as that is the fluid that is being picked up for recirculation, and should be about as warm as it's going to get. Of course there are problems with having it in that point, but if you could rig it up so the sender/wire wasn't sticking out so you couldn't rip it off easily (don't worry about location for a DD IMO) it would probably be ok. I personally don't like stuff hanging down like that, even a medium sized branch thrown up by a tire could take it out.

3. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

That is what I thought about the bungs on the tranny, I will use one of those...prob the pass side farthest away from the bell housing.
    As for the oil temp gauge...I really dont like the idea of a wire hanging below the pan either, that is why I was wondering if there is some loctations on the block that I could get the oil temp from. Similar to the oil pressure bungs and such...are there any of those that arent in use on these 350's??? If so where should i look to hunt them down??
    dyeager535, thanks for the help....one location down, one to go. I will get it hooked up in a few days if my schedual allows. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

There is an oil "tap" point *typically* at the front of the block (stand at the passenger front corner, look down from the thermostat housing behind the water pump), and there is one right above the oil filter.

The one on the front is going to be a 4 sided pipe plug (like the tranny ones) the one above the oil filter is going to be a recessed head pipe plug. Sometimes the one above the filter is in use, but you could use a "t" there if you wanted to run two things from the same port. Not sure how temperature would be affected in cold temperatures though if the sender was mounted "remotely" like that, instead of threaded right into the block.

5. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

For oil temperature I'd snag it from back by the distributor, down by the oil filter, or on the front of the block where that itsy bitsy (1/8"?) NPT fitting is. I can't think of any places that are easy to get to. I think the one where your oil pressure gauge plugs in would be best. Down there by the oil filter is pretty crowded, especially if you have headers. The one on the front of the motor is pretty small.

For the transmission, I plan on putting mine here just like a guy on ORC did:
    [​IMG]