Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to look for 14BFF? *EDITED*

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Esteban86K5, Apr 4, 2001.

1. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for your help on where to find a 14 BFF. I found one under a 78 1 ton pickup today. The truck had a big block in it and the glove box sticker said the axle has 4:10 gears and a limited-slip differential. The axle had a lot of surface rust on it though. Should I be worried about that? The guy is asking $200 for it but I'm sure I can get it for less. I plan on putting a detroit in it and the gears are what I have now. So does it sound like a good deal? Of coarse I'll have to go through it and rebuild it. If I take the diff cover off what should I look for.
    What have you guys spent on rebuild yours?
    Thanks again for the info.

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>SEMPER FI TO MY BLAZER <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Esteban86K5 on 04/06/01 04:59 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Re: Where to look for 14BFF?

The 14FF can be found under 3/4ton and 1 ton single rear wheel Chevy Trucks and 1 ton Chevy vans.... For the trucks you have to watch some 2wd versions in 3/4 ton had 14SF...

The 14FF would be the best upgrade for the rear, but unless you are gaining a ratio that will match the rear axle, the 44 front swap is a waste of time. They wont gain you much strength in the front(not enough to be worth it) unless you are gaining gears to match the rear...

The 44 front was found under 3/4ton Chevy truck(most years up to 78) and under 1 ton trucks older than 1977....

<font color=green><A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A></font color=green>[​IMG]

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I will sell you one for $300.00 as-is. These as-is are in good condition and ready to go. I have 3.73 and 4.10 ratios. I can also rebuild them for you, too.

4. Esteban86K5

So what would you put under the front. A Dana 60? A little to expensive aren't they. Where do I look for those?

<font color=red>SEMPER FI TO MY BLAZER

5. thatK30guy

You can use any of the three choices: 10B, D44, or D60.

6. Esteban86K5

Well I have a 10blt on there now(stock) can I strengthen that one? How?

7. thatK30guy

ANYTHING can be beefed up!!! It all depends on what type of wheeling and playing you do or plan to do. I will leave this "build up option" open for other people on this site to give you their opinions before I give you mine. Lets see what others say for now...........

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Yes, the D60 is the ultimate front axle... They are getting expensive, but try and find an out of the way J-yard and they may have one for a reasonable price...

You can find the D60 under any 78-88 1 ton Chevy 4wd....

<font color=green><A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A></font color=green>[​IMG]

9. Esteban86K5

Thatk30guy, I' goinh to look around here first and if I have no luck then I'll take you up on that offer. I want to avoid having them shipped.

10. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Esteban,

Keith here - you know, I also looked for a Dana 60 for a while, but they are expensive unless you come across a sweetheart deal. I have been wheeling on my 10 bolt front for 5 years now, never had a problem. It's mostly your driving style that will get you by. I used to romp around a lot, broke stuff and then learned that in order to save money (and have a more enjoyable ride home!) I needed to drive intelligently. Sure, it's fun to romp some time, and with proper upgrades your 10 bolt front will take it (well, MORE of it). There's no debate that the D60 is the ultimate front axle for our trucks, but it all comes down to what you can afford I guess. You can get chromoly axles and stuff for the 10 bolt, but I am still on my stock axles, no problems! I am simply going to get some more stock axleshafts to have as replacements (they are dirt cheap from the junk yards!). The rear end sees much more abuse and wear and tear. Get the 14FF and forget about rear end problems...and make sure you go all the way and get a Detroit in it at the same time. Just my .02 cents, but it seems to work for me!!

11. Esteban86K5

Keith your truck really impressed me this weekend. I am so motivated to get my truck to the level that yours is in. I thought that you had both axles upgraded. Especially since your running an ARB in the front. I did't think that the 10 bolts could handle an ARB in it's stock form. I guess I'll save my money and not uprgrade the front yet. As you could see from this weekend I don't like to ROMP on my truck as it is my daily driver. The rear-end is a must though. I don't want to end up like Jeromy. He was lucky to have such a great bunch of guys to help him. Anyways, thanks for your input. It's exactly what I wanted to here.

12. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

I found mine in the Ecology on Lomita,way down in wilmington, theres also a couple pick ur parts down on Blinn. They Usually have a bunch of trucks and i think Wed. is the change out day, If you give me some notice i could prob. help you find one and ripp it out i think i payed $150 bucks on mine then spent a couple hundred rebuilding it, BTW if you need parts the guys at Torrance NAPA, on Carson, just east of Arlington are great guys, if you go ask for George, Any how, let me know if you need some help.

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

13. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

Esteban,
    The only reason I can think of trying to find a D44 with the 14B is to get them out of the same donor truck so that you can have the same gear ratio front and rear without having to regear your front 10B. And you will end up with the same wheels front and rear instead of 8 lugs in the rear and 6 lug up front. Just my $0.02

See Ya,
    Keith

[​IMG] Born to Drive My K5 [​IMG]

14. 89Blazin

89Blazin 1/2 ton status

GM made two 14-bolts. The "small" has a 9.5 inch ring gear. It was in the rear of 1964 and later pickups and the rear of 1984-91 3/4 ton Burbs.
    The biggest has a 10.5 inch ring gear...looks and compares to a Dana 70. Look in big block trucks 1973-87 3/4 tons.

85 Burb and an 89 Blazer
    One just for fun, one simply for pleazer

15. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I have a 14ff off a parts truck... a79 heavy duty 3/4 ton that had a 545 in it... how would I tell which 14 bolt I have???
    How much is it worth I want to sell it...

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

16. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

You have a FF. The SF's weren't made until '81

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

17. thatK30guy

Ok, 14FF were started in 1973 and are still in production today.
    The 14SF was started in 1981 and is also used in todays trucks.
    The FF was in 3/4 ton trucks up to 83 or 84. I believe these rears were options for 81 to 83 or 84. The SF was the standard rear for those years.
    ALL 1 tons use the FF, even todays trucks. 1 ton 4x4 started in 1977.
    The FF has a 10.5" ring gear.
    The SF has a 9.5" ring gear.
    Suburban rear options were the same as the 3/4 ton trucks.
    Not all big block trucks had just the FF rear. Some had SF, too. Even the Subs, also.

18. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Dude, Wes, are you selling people the stuff I need? I'm not having this. hahaha Man, I go and pick up my truck tomorrow and I'm so HAPPY! Now, I need to get the rest of my stuff on it. Later!

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

19. thatK30guy

No, I still have your stuff on hold. I have plenty of other rears to sell anyways. Just let me know when you are ready for the stuff.

20. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Esteban,

By replacing the somewhat weak 10 bolt carrier with an ARB, you do away with that weak link. Now, it is the axles and u-joints that become weak points. These are easier to replace and cheaper to fix (especially if you carry some junkyard axles that are already assembled with u joints with you!) I guess you could try the chromoly 30 spline shafts when you do the ARB, but then you still have to deal with the u-joints breaking, and when they break they USUALLY take out the axle also (they break around the u-joint). And 30 spline replacements are harder to find than the common 28 spline shafts... just my .02 again.

Some day when I come across some big money, I will just throw a D60 in there, but for right now I am plenty happy with my 10 bolt.

keith