Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to measure?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gone huntin, Feb 4, 2005.

1. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just put a 4" lift (springs front, blocks rear) on my '90 Suburban and it looks alot taller in the front than rear. I measured from the tutone stripe to the ground and got 2 1/2" difference, then from the pinchweld at the bottom of the rockers to the ground and got 1" difference. When I went from the stripe, I was directly at the center of the wheels, but when I measured from the rockers, it was behind the front tire and in front of the rear tire. Where is the most accurate place on a Suburban to true measurement?

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Your eye tends to follow the body line so that is the reference point that I measure from. I took a straight 2x4 and placed it at the center of the wheel and made sure it was straight up and down. Then using an adjustable t-square I marked on the 2x4 where the body line was and measured that. You can get an accurate measurement from front to back and from side to side this way.

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i use my stock bumpers. i've got those little rubber strips in them, i measure from the bottom edge.

4. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I fixed it, I just added a long 2" add-a-leaf to the rear springs and now it sits level.

5. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

Cool... just dont ever measure from the ground to the top of the fender well. its an 1in lower in the back than the front ;)