Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to mount Antenna

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by 4X4HIGH, Nov 7, 2002.

1. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Like the subject line says, where is the best place to mount a Wilson 5000 trucker Antenna on a 89 blazer? I have been to the Wilson web-site and I find it hard to really understand where the best place would be. It says the coil should be above the roof line but also that the roof is too big a ground plane. My blazer has a 6" lift with 35's and I don't really want to be hitting everything in sight by mounting it too high. Would it be ok to mount it off the passenger side body near the top rear corner?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Best place to mount it would be the roof of the cab, but I hear /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif your concerns. You should be able to mount it about anywhere you want. Just try it and see how it works. I run a 102" Stainless Steel whip on a spring mounted to the overhead light bar. Works pretty good for me, but it does wack tree limbs alot. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I used to have mine on the roof but I kept stripping it off. I ended up going to a ball mount on the side all the way in the rear as high as I could put it. I then put a 5' firestick on a spring mount. It has stayed better in that location.

4. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

I run a '72 blazer with the fiberglass top. that really cut my options. What I did was make my own bracket out of a thin sheet of steel and sandwitched it between my bed and the top, help sceurly inside with a bolt. It is mounted in the very back on the driver's side with a 5' firestik II antenna. With the fiberglass, you dont have to worry about the ground plane, and also the coil on the firestiks isnt at the base, it goes all the way up. I think that is the best mount I have seen around here. I may also be a little impartial though too. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Go to the firestik web site should have plenty of info.

6. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

I was up in the mountains last week and saw a Taco truck with the antenna mounted between the hood and the front driverside corner panel.
    It looked pretty good and out of the way /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Anyone tell me how they did it or why this wouldn't work? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

7. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

A lot of people mount the antenna like what you mentioned... they use a mount like this.

[​IMG]

They can be found at some truckstops and cb shops. If all else fails I found them at Tower Electronics

8. Sandman

I used to have mine mounted on the mirrors also. It worked out pretty well.

9. MilpitasK5

Where can I get one of those brackets? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Sandman

I think Radio Shack or a decent truck stop would have them.

11. MilpitasK5

Thanks!
    I was thinking about my mirror too but mine are kinda jacked right now and I may have to change them out soon. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

12. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

The roof should be the best place fo that Wilson, But like you said it will hit just about every thing and if you wheel in the trees it will hit alot more stuff.
    If you go the side I would think you would have to go with a Ball mount, And do like Sandman and mount it up as high on the body as you can.
    Somebody put a ball mount low on my 83, And after three hrs at the CB shop and trying all the Antennas they had we couldn't the SWR's down past 2. The only thing they could think of was it was mounted to low on the body and I getting to much interferance (sp)

Eric