Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to mount MSD ignition

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Jul 22, 2001.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

OK, I'm trying to find a place to mount my ignition and I'm wondering if I can mount it above the condensor and to the right of it (right to left standing in front of the truck looking under the hood). if not where does everybody else mount their ignitions???

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I'm going to install mine later this week, and thats the best place I've found for it. If my measurements are correct, it should fit just fine. I think it will look pretty good there also.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

mine is mounted on the wheel well on the passenger side it has a little flat space and fit perfectly.l

4. solowookie

I wanted to mount it on the fire wall, but I ended up mounting it on the fender where suggested. I'll probably take the tops off with a sazall.

5. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Passenger side inner fender right by the battery.

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i would not advise putting it in the eng compatrment withough a Water Proof box around it. i fried mine about 6 months ago. just from rain. just find a school pencil box and install that with the MSD inside. then RTV the holes for the wires. then you dont have to worry abour it as much
    just my mind speaking
    you can do the same thing with relays for lights too.... ; )

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. lots of plans for it....
    but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in so cali if ya got any parts for me.

7. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I had mine mounted on the fire wall right where the first post was talking...then i removed it from that truck to put it in my blazer...same spot and with it disconnected seems like my other truck ran better...anyone got an article written on the correct installation to a 80's chevy truck? I'd like to double check before i install on the blazer

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer
    1982 Chevy C-10 Longbed<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by BowtieBlazer on 07/22/01 11:10 PM.</FONT></P>

8. solowookie

I never thought of the water problem thing. I got 2 k5's, and this is mounted in my on-road vehicle, and won't see any off-road. I'm assuming if it gets wet where it is there is gonna be a WHOLE lot of other stuff getting wet too.

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I'm assuming that you got a 6-a or a 6-al. neither of these is real water proof. but it should be ok if mounted on the firewall on your street machine that is not used for offroad
    If you are doing any serious offroading like mud, water, rough roads, rocks I would get the MSD 6 offroad or the MSD6-t ignition box both of these are water proof and vibration dampend
    . Either that or mount it inside the truck where it will stay cool, dry and there is a lot less vibration. If you pop out the glove box there is plenty of room to put a ignition box behind it.

<font color=orange> You are just jealous, because the voices only talk to me.</font color=orange>