Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to order dip stick?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Avery4jc, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok guys as most of you know I finally fixed that stupid oil pan leak that erupted after I "fixed" it. :D

Now that I've put a few miles on it and I'm convinced that it's as good as it'll be for now I need to get my new dipstick. I have my old one in there so that it doesn't come out of the tube but it is so short now that I don't have a guage. I thought LMC might have them but I couldn't find it in the book I have from them. I also checked at Kragen and Auto Zone (which suprisingly have had everything else I've ever needed at a good price). So where do you guys get them from? The tube will live but if I can I'd like to get a new one at the same time. Thanks

-Avery

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

new one or aftermarket...

The GM dealer is the lone source for the OEM part (if its still available)..but many speed shops carry chrome dipsticks and tube assembly's.they are not very expensive...after what you've just gone thru to fix your problem,I can understand if your leery of a cheesy tiwan chrome dipstick though....

You could get a good used one at a junkyard too..I have 2 that I saved from motor swaps sitting in my shop..never know when you need one!..

I keep things like used radiator caps and gas caps,oil filler caps,a used "good" thermostat,and a water pump off a parts motor that wasnt leaking or anything..things like that have saved my butt on sunday afternoon when swapping a motor ,and you HAVE to drive it to work monday morning--and no parts stores are open!....(or its a "dealer only" part!:doah: )......sucks to get a motor all bolted in and hooked up,then find you lack some stupid trinket to finish the job..and you KNOW you had one,but tossed it out or just mislaid it somewhere...:doah: ..

Thats why my garage is so packed with stuff!!..Pack-ratting is a serious disease..:crazy:

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

im going to assume small block... drivers or passenger dipstick?

4. jesterdzs

jesterdzs Registered Member

Lokar.com aftermarket flexable dipsticks
    very nice mounts on fire wall or engine , i put one on my 76 F250 with a 410FE ford and a 9 quart millidon pan ,worked great
    lots of options for chevys

5. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

$18.00 for the OEM one I got just a few months ago. Federated dealer

6. K5TRLBLZR

K5TRLBLZR Registered Member

Check summits web site. Parting out section of the paper?

7. Avery4jc

small block 350, passenger side going into the block.

I did get an aftermarket chrome one but after I fished out the broken piece I realized how long my oem one was and the chrome tube and stick I bought at the parts store was way too short.

They said that it is something that is hard for them to get, he looked through his books and through the computer but couldn't find it. He said the only option through them (Kragen) was to find a chrome one off the shelf that was the same length.

Oh, by the way does anyone know how many quarts the stock '85 K10 w/ a 350 oil pan is?

I'll look through summit, I might have missed it the first time through.

Thanks!

Oh, one last thing, I have been putting some miles on it now that I've finally fixed the leak but now that I'm paranoid about oil for the first time I've been keeping a close eye on my guages, at idle my oil pressure is about 28-30 and while driving it's about 35. Does that sound about right?

-Avery

8. Avery4jc

9. Metrodps

Yea it looks right if you can waith 12 hours I can get part number from my guy and who makes it. If I had the old one I would give it to ya. Mine was all bent from when truck had headers.

I willl still get part number and who makes it and post.

10. Avery4jc

If you have time that would be nice since I just found out as with many other aspects of this "adult" hobby I'm screwed because of my age (16). I have a job, a checking and savings account all in my name yet I have to be 18 to order from Summit. I guess I'll have to get dad involved. I hate to lie on stuff like that but hey, we'll see how it goes.

-Avery

11. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

The dealer should still be able to get them.

12. Metrodps

OK I was wrong it came from local Chevy dealer pn 10110898 and it list for $19.00 I paid $13.20

Hope that helps you it was an in stock item here.

13. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

GM PART # 10110898
    DESCRIPTION: TUBE ASM
    CATEGORY: Engine Oil Level
    PACK QTY: 1
    GM LIST: $17.53
    OUR PRICE: $10.39

http://gmpartsdirect.com/