Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where to order paint for the interior plastic panels???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RESTORE89, May 8, 2002.

1. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

changing the interior color from grey to tan, and need to know where to get the paint for the interior panels. did a search and got no results
    thanks
    chris

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

What you're looking for is called vinyl dye. Many auto parts stores have it in stock in various colors. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

thanks harry,
    i have seen that stuff on the shelf at the parts stores, and even used it on an old ford i had. was just hoping that there was something a little better. seems i heard about something that body shops use when replacing panels. any ideas other than walmart vinyl dye.
    chris

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The body shops probably just use Walmart vinyl dye and charge you a small fortune for it. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif A search on Google for "vinyl dye" turned up quite a list of places that sell it under various brand names.

5. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i hope they have better result than i did. i painted a vinyl bench seat in an 82 f-150 with the stuff to change the color from red to brown, and it looked great for a couple of weeks, until it got damp and started to rub off. thank goodness it was a truck that my guys drive while wearing uniforms. i even degreased and cleaned the vinyl first.

6. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

I heard SEM makes some good stuff, i have no idea where to get it though. I used some of the parts store stuff on my door panels and dash, looks pretty good but the arm rest on the drivers door is starting to wear though, It took about 2 months

7. jberg62

jberg62 1/2 ton status

I just order some<a target="_blank" href=http://store.summitracing.com/search.asp?page=6&amp;type=bykeyword&amp;part=VHT&amp;SearchType=both> VHT dye from Summit</a> in order to change the color of my newly inherited cloth seats from a mustang GT. This stuff is supposed to be pretty good and works on Vinyl,leather,cloth and carpet.

I used some Vinyl/Fabric spray paint from the Bondo corporation called <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bondo-online.com/catalog_brand.asp?hdrBrand=7>Mar-hyde</a> to initially recolor my interior from tan to a nice Slate Blue. It's remained completely bonded for going on 4 years now. I sincerely believe the trick is to thoroughly degrease the surface that is to be painted with Prep Solvent (which can be purchased from a body shop supply place) or some similar degreaser product. If this VHT stuff's Blue is a different tone of Blue than what I already have; I'll just repaint my dash pad with it in order to tie everything together better.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'll second the SEM comments, heard nothing but good things about it. On the GM car lists I'm on, thats all I hear recommended.

9. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sherwin Williams has an interior paint called "Ultra-interior" this is the best paint or die I have ever used, sticks to any plastic surface, even the dash. This paint will not even scatch off!!!

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

www.cheyennepickup.com has the SEM paint meant for that..........used it myself, 3 years later very happy.

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

And by the way, I used acetone to clean the plastic before painting to remove all dirt/fingerprint oil, etc.

12. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I used a spray paint made for plastic's. Worked pretty damn good!

13. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sherwin Williams system has 3 products, a cleaner, an adhesion promoter (that softens the plastic) and the paint. I have used SEM, MARHIDE they are all good products, but they are old technologies from the "80s", basically a laquer based paint. With the "Ultra-interior" it is hard to tell if the plastics have even been painted, my parts have been painted for about 2 years w/o any problems.

14. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I cleaned all the parts with acetone or paint thinner(can't remember /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif) and then shot them with the cheapest white rattle can I could find and it has lasted 2 years and counting with no defects

15. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

im gettin ready to paint all my plastic stuff, and am gonna get the paint guy at NAPA to mix it. U need a paint gun. If u got one (accordin to him atleast) this is supposed to be better. One strange thing. When i was removing my interior trim, the longer trim pieces over the windows are metal! i thought it was all plastic, so im gonna use die on em and hope it sticks /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

16. BlazingItaly

BlazingItaly Registered Member

17. Medman74K5

Medman74K5 Registered Member

I would also recommend SEMS. I found it at a local auto paint store. Wash the part with soap and water first and let them dry.Spray it wth SEMS plastic prep before aplying the paint. Try calling some local auto upolstery shops thats how I found the stuff.

18. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

I just spent two very frustrating weekends trying to do this with no results. I started to paint some door panels that I bought, first cleaned them, then shot them with the vinyl gloss black. Well after spending a whole day shooting each piece about 3-4 coatings, I went back and while putting them back on the paint just slides right off. So I left them off until last weekend and cleaned them all off and now primed them to see if they would stick better. Well this didn't work either. I think that there is different paint vinyl and plastic as well as the metal. I will say that the vinyl paint on the headliner and visors work perfect. Just an update so you don't waste your time and money.....

Shane-