Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to pick up 400 crank?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Dec 9, 2001.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Does anybody know where I can pick up a 400 crank for the 1-piece rear main seal for a decent price... I wanna build stroker motor similar to the GM HT383 crate motor...thanks for any help...

<font color=red>1987 Blazer K5, 4" Rancho Lift, 33" BFG AT, Dual Battery setup, AND MORE TO COME [​IMG]
    Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red>

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Speed-o-Matic has adds in Car (Chevy) Craft and Hot Rod. They sell everything you need for stroker motors. semi-pricey. Might try junk yards, 400's are getting rare.

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

3. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

PAW SELLS THE PISTONS, RODS, BEARINGS AND CRANK FOR $659. 383 STROKER

4. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Guys, he wants a 3.75" crank for <font color=orange>1 piece rear seal (86 and later)</font color=orange>

You can get cranks made with the 2.45" main journals from companies like Scat or Eagle. Check with them to see about one of these for 1 piece rear seal. You might also check with Summit and on eBay.

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.speedomotive.com>Speed-O-Motive</a> ~~ the stroker experts since 1946~~ Has a one piece rear seal 383 kit for $605
    in the latest issue of Chevy Hi-performace ad says FREE SHIPPING!

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

6. fortcollinsram

Okay time to gimme an estimate on HP and torque...If I got that speed-o-motive kit forged "stroker" kit, upgraded to the TRW forged flat-top pistons, swapped to Vortec heads(and home port and polish), GM performance intake to use TBI and Vortec heads, a realatively mild Comp hydraulic roller cam, Comp hydraulioc lifters, and Comp roller rockers... On top of that, I would ditch the belt driven fan in favor of a dual electic setup, go to a true-roller timing chain such as the Edelbrock unit, and top it off with a TBI spacer and K&amp;N 14" round air cleaner...

That being said, what kinda numbers do you 'think' the engine would put out?

Chris

<font color=red>1987 Blazer K5, 4" Rancho Lift, 33" BFG AT, Dual Battery setup, AND MORE TO COME [​IMG]

7. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

all that and you want the stock TBI to function???
    With the "forged" stroker kit you are looking at 10.2 to 1 and with the flat tops you step up to 10.9 to 1.
    The stock TBI was ment for a 210 horse 9.3 to 1 350
    Your picking up 40 horse just with the Vortecs
    And with the cam and induction upgrades I would saw you'll be upward to 375 to 400 ponies.

When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

8. fortcollinsram

What would I have to do to the TBI in order for it to work? Also what is the combustion chamber size on the Vortec heads? How can I keep the CR down a little bit closer to stock? Thanks

Chris

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Whatever you do, don't buy some cast or forged in China garbage. Get something of quality and avoid problems down the road. Believe me, a CRANKSHAFT is very important to your continued travel down the road, and skimping here could be costly. Very costly.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

10. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Check out the December issue of Petersens 4W&amp;OR. it has an article on TBI build ups.

55 Willy's

11. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I picked up a NEW 400 crank on eBay from a speed dealer for $139. It is a two piece seal though. Sure beats $605 from whoever that was on the above post!!

ken

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Those $600+ kits come with a complete rotating assembly. New crank, new pistons, recon connecting rods, bearings, etc. You get way more than just the crank for that price. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...