Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to pick up steel?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Feb 6, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Well, I am getting a MIG welder here in the next couple months and was wondering where is the best place to buy steel plate, aluminum plate, chromo tubing and the like? Where do you guys get all you stell when you fab stuff up? thanks...

Chris

Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/fortcollinsram>My 87 Blazer</a>

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I like to steal mine from the scrap rack at work!!!

If you dont have to access to cheap to free stuff, there should be steel yards in your area for the big stuff. And check scrap yards too for the 10 cents a pound stuff. I find some interesting stuff at mine and go just about once a week.

Bryan

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

3. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I take mine from work also :-)), but your best bet for someone who will sell it to you here is Engbar Pipe and Steel 303 297-1456 talk to Ann and DenCol 303-295-1683 they are across the street from each other 1 block north of I70 on Washington. Metal West in Brighton might sell retail also 303-655-4528

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Definitely call around. We have a few choices around my area, both "recycled" stuff and "new". I'm making a trailer, and things such as cost per cut (if you have them do it, believe me, it is a HELL of a lot faster when they do it) price per foot or by pound, and selection vary widely.

"expanded metal" (that steel grating used for things like trailer decks and sides) for instance, ran anywhere from $45 for a 4x8, to $75 for the same thing. Cutting costs ran anywhere from $.50 per cut, to nothing.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

5. Parf

Parf Registered Member

I use Den-Col Supply Co.
    303-295-1683

I had them plasma cut me some new 11 gauge wheel wells for my Toyota Land Cruiser that I plan to tie my cage into. Curves and all. I think it was $1.50 a foot for Plasma, and don't ask for laser cutting, min something like $5K. Around I-25 &amp; I-70.

<font color=blue>Parf</font color=blue>
    1984 K5 Jimmy 4x4 Sierra Classic
    6.2L diesel, 700R4

6. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

There's www.onlinemetals.com

Mudstud
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s6superliftand33s.msnw?albumlist=2>http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s6superliftand33s.msnw?albumlist=2</a>
    76K5 6" with 33s, sb400/350/203parttime/3.73-D44/GM12bolt

7. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

Check out your local suppliers. I go to a local place and can often find what I need from their "shorts" rack at discount prices.

John