Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where to place c.b. ant.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lgk5, Apr 6, 2001.

1. lgk5

lgk5 1/2 ton status

i know the best place is the top or front fender but,lets be
    real.if i put it on top, the next time i do the drive thru at mc dddddd the bill might be more than i want to pay.
    the front fender seems to always come loose after while
    plus i'm only installing one.
    so what do you think ?

'

2. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Why not put it on your bumper? I've got the type with a magnet that I just remove when not in use.

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>SEMPER FI TO MY BLAZER

3. 89Blazin

89Blazin 1/2 ton status

Or do a permanent mount and get the long (full wave?) antenna and loop the end down. You can do a permanent mount which will still allow unscrewing the antenna from the mount. A mag mount is OK until you loose it. If it comes off, depending on how much slack, where it is, etc. can wrap around the wheel, scratch up the ole paint, break out the rear glass.....my 2 cents..

85 Burb and an 89 Blazer
    One just for fun, one simply for pleazer

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Can't you just do the fender thing and use actual nuts and bolts instead of the cheap ass sheet metal screws? There should be plenty of room to reach up into the fender with a nut. You are going to "match" the antenna, correct?

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

5. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

6. lgk5

lgk5 1/2 ton status

i don't know alot about the c.b. stuff. " matched"
    i did buy all the stuff from a c.b. shop and after i get it installed
    he said to bring it back and he would tune the system
    is that getting it "matched"?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by lgk5 on 04/06/01 06:51 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

7. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Esteban, didn't your magnet mount fall over a couple of times last weekend or was it Mario's?

Mine is mounted to the roof rack. I just take it off when I'm not using it. I did drive though the Carls JR drive thru Monday but I missed all of there lights.

8. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

If you do go magnet mount, get a K40. They have a 120 pound pull magnet, it ain't goin' anywhere. I've nailed some good size branches with it and have never lost it once! I've been up to 75 and I didn't even think about it because it was doing a good job.

[​IMG]

9. what i know about CBs:

the best spot is dead in the center of the vehicle, i guess on a k5 that'd be on the roof...... reason is, the rf energy needs to be centered on the 'ground plane' (sheetmetal) from which to radiate evenly in all directions. i guess 'matched' means calibrating swr and adjusting for that particular CB/antenna combo. swr metering ensures that as much energy as possible is passed thru the coax and radiated from the antenna, and a minimal amount is reflected back into the CB unit. SWR's are available at radio shack for 19 and 29 dollars, one has an RF meter and that is where the ten extra bucks go......

greg

10. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

I went to a local truck stop and I purchased a mirror mount and I ran the the cable through the vent window. Haven't had any problems. Hope this helps.

Ric

WHEELIN' IS NOT A HOBBY... IT'S A LIFESTYLE.

11. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Why you gotta bust my balls like that Richard? Ya Ya so my ant. fell off ONCE. But it was after it hit a TREE(o.k. a branch) but I did catch it in my hand. Did you catch that? I'd rather have it fall off than break off. And I go on the highway with it too. I've never thought twice about it.
    LEAVE ME ALONE MAN!!!!!! :)&gt;

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>SEMPER FI TO MY BLAZER

12. Daveytree

Daveytree Registered Member

Dyeager and Dr. Amore are both right. A ground plane is very important for transmitting. Nuts and bolts (with lock washers and possibly locktight) works very well. I also had springs on my K40 antennas. I never had a problem. I have also tried mag mounts. K40 mag mounts are great, but they will scratch paint. It is not possible to keep the dust out from under them. Mirror mounts look pretty cool too. Either way I would recommend a heavy spring in between. It protects the antenna and the mounting surface. To sum things up, my fender mounts worked great. I mounted one as a dummy to give it a good look, and the other was hooked up. That way I didn't have to worry about the co-phase problem.

13. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

Daveytree,

You're right about the springs. Who knows how many antennas I broke before I istalled the springs.

Ric

WHEELIN' IS NOT A HOBBY... IT'S A LIFESTYLE.

14. 89Blazin

89Blazin 1/2 ton status

Don't forget the spring type you see mounted on the side of military vehicles. The opposite side from the gas cap, same location or up a little higher to the next flat on the side panel. It'll be shadowed somewhat by the vehicle, but will work ok front and rear and left side. Might actually get some gain in the new pattern you are creating,(in certain directions). Center of the roof is ideal.....

85 Burb and an 89 Blazer
    One just for fun, one simply for pleazer

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I have a mag mount. Center it L-to-R & back toward the windshield. This will help you miss branches. I used to have a Firestick ant in that mount but it is so stiff it kept getting knocked off. Once I went back to a plain jane flexible whip it stayed put. It was harder to tune, but it stays on. Thats on the 80, on the "new" truck there is an ant mounted to the lower bracket of what used to be a swing-out tire carrier. I don't know if its any good though, I don't have CB in there yet.

Jim '80 GMC
    Freedom First!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com>http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com</A>

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've got the twin 4' whips mounted on my mirrors...probably not ideal but it works just fine on the trail, well unless the trail is real tight.
    Actually aside from looking pretty cool, I hate where they are, anybody have some better ideas? I need the CB the most on the trail, however almost every trail I run is so overgrown and tight I end up removing my antenna's. I have a ton of coax under the dash so almost anywhere is possible...opinions?

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

17. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i got my 5 1/2 foot on my rear bumper. it works great. check out my page for spec and pics on it.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/>http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/</A>
    <font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    [​IMG]

18. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dr amore brought it up already, but to clarify, if the antenna isn't "matched" (has to do with the length of cable for one thing, antenna mount too I believe) you end up burning up the CB. Used to be all the time that people would end up having CB's last like 2 years or less before they went out. I don't think it had anything to do with quality, I think people didn't match them. I assume thats much less common now, I really don't hear about people having CB problems...I guess people finally learned or something.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

19. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Hey Rene, don't you have a rear tire carrier? Couldn't you just attatch a mount to that and slap on a big fiberglass antenna. I wouldn't go with the metal whip because when your bouncing around it'll probably smack your truck. Just a thought.

[​IMG]

20. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

I'm going to try a 3' Wilson Flex mounted to the top. I'll let you all know how it works. And whoever was worried about the paint getting scratched from the magnet, lol, man does your blazer ever see 4wd?