Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where to put an inline fuel filter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SHAWNSTER, Sep 13, 2006.

1. SHAWNSTER

SHAWNSTER 1/2 ton status

I took my gas tank for the 62 cadi to the rad shop to get tanked and cleaned, and the guy says he cant do it bcuz it had been done already in the past-he said it did not look too bad, but says i should run a 2nd filter-inline somewhere to catch the loose crud-b4 i put it back in i will shake real good and rinse out w/ fresh gas - where is a good and easy place to put this inline filter? close to the tank or-the rad guy says to get a rinsable one that i can just clean and put back in

thanks

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

As close to the carb as possible.

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Normally you want the filter as close to the carb as is reasonable, but if you have an electric fuel pump by necessity it should be mounted near the tank. In that case I would place a quality filter btwn the tank and the pump to protect the pump, and consider leaving a filter up near the carb.

4. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a small fram filter on the frame rail just in front of the rear passenger tire. I also have a marine water/fuel separating filter between the manual fuel pump and the carb.

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

On my '79 Sub I had it just the revrse of that. Spin-on Marine filter bolted to the inside of the frame rail right over the rear axle.
    The '91 may get it there as well once I put in the 50 gal tank and go to an external EFI pump.