Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where to put antenna

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by blazingboy, Jan 13, 2003.

1. blazingboy

blazingboy 1/2 ton status

Hey Guys I have had my cb for a while with the antenna on the back bumper on the drive side. The problem is it does not reach over than about a mile. Is the problem where it is mounted our something else.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It could be. Try mounting off one of your mirrors.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

What kind of antenna is it?

4. VA-NC-SC

VA-NC-SC Registered Member

It is probably not the mounting spot; however, most of the time it is either a faulty mounting job, the antenna is too short, the SWR is not set correctly, or just that the antenna is cheap. There are a number of routes to take to improve your signal. First of all, check your SWR. If you are using a radio shack ball mount (looks like a trailer hitch) then get behind it and be sure that the center part is not touching any metal. If the SWR checks out and its still bad then be sure the antenna is a good bit taller than your roof. Two antennas that I have found to work very well are 102" whips (found at radio shack) and a K40 baseload. You can mount the k40 on the lip of your hood (or trunk, but im assuming you have an SUV) and it does not require drilling any holes. The K40 is the best performing antenna that I have used. I do not like firestiks at all, especially not when they are mounted at a low point like your bumper.

I can provide more help if you let me know: What kind of antenna is it? How tall is it? What kind of mount is it? Have you checked the SWR?

5. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

Sup yo, i have a K40 fiberglass on my trucks roof with my cobra 29 NW LTD classic, i love it lights up green, oooo green. yea i might do a 102" whip, but my parents got me started on Power wires and shorting my truck out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I do not like firestiks at all, especially not when they are mounted at a low point like your bumper.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is that? I am curious not challenging. I have a firestik mounted on my bumper that I have yet to connect, but I find it to be the best mounting point from a physical/aesthetic aspect. I haven't checked any performance on it, though, so it may be the worst spot on earth. Just wondering what your thoughts are and what I may not be considering.

7. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

I'll second the 102 whip opinion, I'm partial to Francis whips, steel whips are too floppy for me. I've had bad luck with base loaded antennas like the Wilson ect. If you have the room, try the 102 whip. Works every time, good performance, excellent band width and they are cheap.
    I'll also second the opinion on the Firesticks, haven't had good luck with them either. If you absolutly can't use a 102 whip, second choice would be a Wilson or a K40.

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Ok i got a 102 mounted to my pass side of my rear bumper. Its on a ball mount, if you use that just be sure its not grounding itself out on the actual bumper or it wont work. Also any power line that is low enough for you to hit is shielded from you shocking your truck. That was my fear but its all good.