Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to put CD player, when I dont want to cut up the dash?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by GM Man, Jan 27, 2003.

1. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

I thought the junk radio in my Jimmy had cut up my dash, so today I bought a cd player and went to install it. Well when I went to take out the old crappy radio I found that my dash hadnt been cut up. I want to use my new cd player but dont want to cut up my dash. Where have you mounted your cd players? Thanks for your thoughts.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I like the overhead console that You can mount your headunit in. They'll only like $200.00 [​IMG]

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You could always use a CD-Changer with a small "keypad" style remote.

It's been a while since I looked at them, but the old ones had a small keypad for volume, track advance, and a small display. It was cool to mount them in an unused ashtray to keep things "stealth".....

That way you could leave the stock radio in there, and nobody would even bother to try to rip you off....!!!

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My friend Jim has a Kenwood nobber cassette deck in his dash with CD changer controles. He doesn't smoke so he mounted the small Kenwood EQ in the in-dash ashtray. Pretty cool idea, it flips up like normal and is hidden.

5. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

You could mount it vertically in the cup holder part of the console. You would have to make a way for it to mount and possibly a flip open lid to hide it.

6. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Becareful some cd players will not play well in a verticle position. Test it out first.

7. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the ideas. Im still trying to decide on what I want to do.

Travis

8. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Who makes the OH console with speakers? Are they available for K5's?

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It's in the new LMC catalog on page 76. Price is: $229.95 1-800-222-5664 or www.lmctruck.com Item # 38-2041 and # 38-2042 You'll have to ask them witch one for your year of truck. One says for originally equiped with factory headliner, but I can't tell witch part number. Shipping on this item is under $30.00.

10. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Let me ask you guys this. If your dash was uncut, would you cut it up to fit a cd player?

Thanks.

11. K05Aggie

K05Aggie 1/2 ton status

Put it in a custom-built center console , of course.
    If my dash were uncut, I would probably cut it and put it there, but mine came DIN and a half size. It's hard to add metal. Then again, I might not put it in the dash. The stock location is hard to see through the steering wheel, and I love where my CD player is now. I left the stock one in the dash(it still works, too), so if I would cover up the one in the console I could have the stealth thing going on. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    If you're willing to spend the money, there are aftermarket ones like this one from Tuffy.

12. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

Well it just depends on how bad you want a cd player. You could look at getting a new dash trim bezel and either cutting the one you've got or cutting the new one that way you could always make it back to original. Of course I'm not quite sure what your dash configuration is in that model so that may not be viable. If you want it to look good, take to a reputable stereo shop that does that stuff everyday. It' worth the few $$ to have it look right.

There are a few more options. You could go with a rf modulated cd changer. That way you would just tune your radio to a fm channel and the cd would play through that. Kenwood now makes a new item called the music keg. It stores songs in mp3 format and holds up to 10 gigs. You have to also buy a modulator for it but it can hold up to 5000 songs. You hook it up to your computer and load up your cd's and mp3 files.

13. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I cut my dash to put a cd player in but I didn't cut the metal all the way out. I cut the dash where the cd player was gonna go and then bent back the dash and slid the cd player in. That way if I ever wanted to put a stock radio back in, I hace bend the metal back and tack weld it back. Plus having the metal bent back a little gives the cd player a little side support adn keeps it from moving side to side. Hard to explain but I hope that makes sense.

14. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Not to sound like a jerk, but we're talking about a '78 Jimmy here, right? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I don't think that an "uncut" dash is going to change resale value on that particular vehicle, unless the truck is 100% original and in perfect condition otherwise.

My suggestion would be to cut the dash as cleanly as possible for the DIN mount, and save the metal that you remove. If you ever feel an overwhelming sense of grief for "butchering" the dash, you could always have that metal grafted back in....

Personally, I'd probably just go for it....and get a nice stereo installed in the factory spot. Some of the alternative methods get too expensive to be realistic....

15. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Two words....

Tuffy Box...... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Thats cool, I understand where your coming from. I was just asking. I also decided today (before this post) that I was going to cut the dash.

Thanks for your opinions,
    Travis

17. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Let me know how it went. I have a '78 Jimmy I am wanting to do the same thing to and have the same questions. Is there any gap above and below the CD player in the brushed aluminum trim bezel. To me the stock hole for my radio's tuner display looks larger than DIN. Have not measured though. Hopefully your results will help make the decision to cut or not to cut /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Some pictures would be great too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Not to leave you hanging, but it might be awhile before I do this. Right now my truck is having the rust cut out of it. I'll let you know as soon as I do it.

19. Super Chevy

Super Chevy Registered Member

i put a DIN jvc in mine, made some super-clean cuts and it fits nice and snug, there is a tinny gap n the top,but from a glace you cant notice it, if you want i can snap some pics.

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

What model of JVC do you have ???? I've got a KD-LX50