Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to put the radio

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mountainibis, Feb 10, 2004.

1. mountainibis

mountainibis Registered Member

So, I thought I'd step into the '90s and install a cd player into my 72. But, I'm hesitant to cut the dash to fit the cd player.

Would I be a dumbass for cutting my dash to replace the post-style radio?

I thought about getting a Tuffy console box and installing it there, but my floor is bed-linered, so you'd be able to see the wires running from the console to the dash, which might be too tempting for the sticky finger crowd.

What's my best option?

2. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

well u could run the wires from the consol to the dash and just line over them too.

Nick

3. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

You could build an aluminum box to mount under the dash to house the CD player so that when you don't want it in there anymore or sell it, you can unbolt it.
    Bill

4. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Don't cut your dash /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif It's not worth it. /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif
    Repairing it afterwards (and you will want to) is a fair amount of work to get it right.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Don't cut the dash!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

Depending on the "depth of sneakiness" you want to achieve you could:

1. Install a stereo into a Tuffy-style console. Bolt the console securely through the floor so nobody will ever own it but you!!

2. Install a deck under one of the seats and mount the display/controller in the ashtray so it can be hidden by simply closing the tray.

3. Install the deck under the seat and rework the existing radio knobs to actually control the functions of the CD player (left knob = volume, right knob = trck fwd/track back) the pushbuttons for the presets could be remapped to do things like track repeat, eject, etc. I've seen installs where the display is then installed inside the rearview mirror with the reflective coating cleared away so that you have track info, etc visible in one corner of the mirror.

Many choices.....and no cutting of the stock dash. In a 1st Gen, I consider hacking a radio hole to be a cardinal sin. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

6. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

I'd go for the cousel. second choise under the seat, or beside the seat. just don't cut the dash.

ARQ.

7. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ...mount the display/controller in the ashtray so it can be hidden by simply closing the tray....

[/ QUOTE ]

How big is the ashtray in your ride Greg? I can fit like six pennies and a quarter in mine.

8. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...mount the display/controller in the ashtray so it can be hidden by simply closing the tray....

[/ QUOTE ]

How big is the ashtray in your ride Greg? I can fit like six pennies and a quarter in mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would fit:

[​IMG]

It's for marine applications, but it just so happens to plug right into the back of the Sony C90 deck....one of the nicest, high quality head units ever made.

(Could this be a foreshadowing of a future update to the Greg72 stereo install?) /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yeeerr Sooo Tricky /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

10. mountainibis

I didn't think it'd be a good idea to cut the dash. Thanks everyone for re-inforcing that for me in my moment of weakness.

I already have the radio (freebie from my bro). If I can get a remote unit for it, I like the under the seat idea. If not, I'll probably end up getting a Tuffy console and finding a way to cover up the wires.

Thanks again.

11. TED

TED Registered Member

My stereo is in a tuffy console and it works great. My rig is also lined, so to solve the wire problem I cut a hole in the floor right under the console with a hole saw and ran the wires under the floor. They run inside the frame, up the firewall and back into the cab. I used flex conduit the whole way as well as grommets when going through the holes I cut. Works great and looks clean. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

12. mountainibis

I like that idea. What kind of sealant did you use around the hole under the console?

13. TED

TED Registered Member

I didn't use any sealant. There's a ridge that runs across the floor for support (the front bolts on your seats are anchored into it) and I cut the hole in that, it's really well protected from the underside. The hole is small and filled with wire and a grommet so I'm not too worried about anything coming up through it. If I get water that high I'll have other problems. If I get some time I'll post some pics to webshots and add the link.

14. JohnSPledg

JohnSPledg 1/2 ton status

Another option would be to give up the glove box and put the head unit in there. The cardboard can't hold much of anything useful to begin with. Or, get the tuffy console and rub the wires through the floor and along the edge of the tranny tunnel then back through the firewall. If you have a full cage, you could fab a locking steel overhead console for the stereo. What ever you do, I would leave the stock radio in the dash as a decoy. I'm trying to find a working GM 8-track for mine. I plan to have the working 8-track with a stock location speaker, and my real stereo and speakers hidden through out the interior. That should keep any would be stereo thieves confused.

15. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    Another option would be to give up the glove box and put the head unit in there. The cardboard can't hold much of anything useful to begin with. Or, get the tuffy console and rub the wires through the floor and along the edge of the tranny tunnel then back through the firewall. If you have a full cage, you could fab a locking steel overhead console for the stereo. What ever you do, I would leave the stock radio in the dash as a decoy. I'm trying to find a working GM 8-track for mine. I plan to have the working 8-track with a stock location speaker, and my real stereo and speakers hidden through out the interior. That should keep any would be stereo thieves confused.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sneakiest of all would be to do my "Option 3" above, but also preserve the existing function of the stock AM radio and be able to "toggle" between the BIG stereo and the AM radio with a hidden switch.

Talk about being able to mess with people's heads.... they are sure that they heard a "real" stereo, but when you show them the dash and flick on the radio.....voila! Nice monoaural AM sounds emanating from the dashboard speaker....

Man, I love messing with people! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

16. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

If you're willing to buy a new radio, LMC has an original look style with built-in tape and control for remote CD.

17. H0BBEZ

H0BBEZ Registered Member

I'm going to have to disagree with everyone here ... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif ...to a point. If you really are going to try keeping a stock look either now or in the future, great, don't cut the dash.

However, in my own vehicle I wouldn't put up with the extra clutter of a stock radio for the added "security". Especially when it means giving up the most convenient spot for navigable stereo. (Might be worth noting that in my vehicle I'd be counting on a pretty dumb thief to see the stock radio but overlook two big carpeted boxes in the back.) I would also rather have my dash cut with a clean install of a new deck than have empty stock holes in the dash for the life of the truck.

18. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

If you do cut the dash just cut it top and bottom and fold the sides back. That way if you ever want to go back all you have to do it bend them back and weld it up.