Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to put tranny cooler? Keep stock one?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Oct 7, 2001.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Any ideas on where to put my tranny cooler? I can't find a good place. Where on the grill have you guys put yours? Also should I keep the stock one or ditch it and put this one in its place? Thanks!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 6" lift, 36" TSL Radials, 14 Bolt, Rancho 9012s

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I ditched the stock one, and dropped the BIGGEST B&M cooler in its place. I had to rig up a bracket or two... just used some 1/8" aluminum stock that was 1/2" wide. Bought it at Home Depot...

Hope that helps... if you need pics:

http://24.10.209.54/images/86truck/transcooler.jpg

<font color=red>Just give me a tank, and point me in the right direction!</font color=red>
    <font color=blue>DONT MESS WITH AMERICA!</font color=blue>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

When you buy a aftermarket cooler it comes with plastic tabs you stick through the cooler and radiator fins. Mount the cooler directly to and in front of the radiator. The cooler should come with instructions. If you dont have these tabs many auto parts stores carry them.
    Unless you are putting on a big cooler you should use it along with the stock one in the radiator.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze</a>
    <font color=blue>NEVADA: Where the pavement ends, and the West begins.</font color=blue>

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

One thing to remember is that if you live in an area that has cold winters, running the auxilliary cooler in series with the stock cooler is a MUST!!!! You can actually over-cool a tranny in really cold temperatures if you don't have the ATF running through the stock rad cooler.............

<font color=blue> WE WILL NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No matter what kind of cooler you have, you're asking for problems if you bypass the stock one. Your tranny might get too hot, but most likely, it'll get too cold, which is also harmful. Engine coolant is at a set temperature and is the best way to make sure the fluid doesn't get too cold.

Tie into your radiator in series with the tranny return line, which for 700R4s, is the top line on the radiator. I didn't use the little plastic things, I made some brackets for mine and mounted it behind the grille, about 1" in front of the radiator. I would have used those plastic things though, they work well.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

explain "really cold"
    i live in NorCal and it does get to freezing in the winter. I was gonna yank the little stock cooler and put the HUGE towing one i got. about 2x bigger. why do i need to keep the stock one with the larger one? i am planning on keeping the stock lines, just a bigger cooler...

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

7. Can Can

Really cold..........how about -35'Celcius(-31'Farenheit)?????[​IMG]

And the stock cooler I'm referring to is the one inside the rad. If you have already have an auxilliary cooler then a previous owner probably installed an aftermarket one(or you could be one of the lucky ones that got a factory GM auxilliary cooler).

I'm not trying to be rude, but are you sure that the "little stock cooler" you're referriing to isn't an oil cooler? Lot's of trucks came with those......

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Why would you be against having two coolers anyway? Run both of them. That way you ensure your tranny never gets too cold, and hopefully, it'll never get too hot either.

Every set of instructions for a tranny cooler that I've ever read has said not to bypass the factory cooler. I wouldn't do it. You can if you want.

Tim

9. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

ZAKK, Since you live in San Jose you don't have to worry about really cold.. I live in Hollister and we get maybe 3 days a year below freezing.. I am getting ready to go to Idaho and I am going to diconnect the B&amp;M cooler for this trip.. And just use the one in the rad... Dan

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Gokartergo>KLICK</a>

10. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

I kept my stock cooler in the radiator and the return line coming from it goes to an aftermarket cooler mounted to the A/C condensor and back to teh tranny.

David

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.extremeblazer.com>http://www.extremeblazer.com</a>

11. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Now wait a minute, I have some sort of cooler in front of my radiator (not oil cooler) it is on the left side. I followed the lines that connect to it, they turn into hard lines and run to the tranny. So the TOP one is the return line? Is that right? I don't see any lines that run into the radiator, can someone enlighten me? Thanks!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

12. Can Can

Check out the side tanks on your rad. Is there any sign of threaded female fittings that may have been plugged? As far as I know, the factory setup for tranny cooling involves hard lines with threaded fittings that thread into the rad at the top and bottom of one of the tanks. You may have a different factory setup than I'm familiar with, or maybe a previous owner bypassed the factory setup and went to an aftermarket cooler all by itself......

13. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

14. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

that was my idea...hook the BIG 'OL HONKER up in-line with the factory one and see how cold it gets. it runs at about 160 right now around town. have not had the chance to wheel in it since i got the tranny gauge...

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

15. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Darnit, ya beat me to it!

Still Poundin' "pavment" after all these years!!! [​IMG]

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That's what I did. Don't bypass the factory cooler.

Tim

17. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Tranny lines on the left side? Clarify driver or passenger. Driver side is oil cooler, plain and simple. Methinks thats what you are looking at, since you say they "turn into hard lines", unless someone has already cut your factory tranny lines, which are ALWAYS on the passenger side. If you follow the drivers side lines, you will see that they connect to the top of the oil filter adapter.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

18. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Ok, I looked at it some more. Tranny cooler in radiator has been pluged and lines run to a cooler on pass side. I have a new radiator, but it doesn't have slots for tranny hook up. It is a 4 core from an 88 burban, I got it from radiator.com. I want to put all this stuff in this weekend. Also how do I know which line is supply and which is return? How should I hook all this stuff up? Any help is appriciated. Thanks!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

19. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

please help me!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

20. The best way to find out (IMO) is to run the truck for a while and then feel the tranny lines, the hotter one comes from the tranny, the cooler or not as hot one goes back to the tranny.

Tell me if I'm wrong here guys

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.