Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where to set time at on a 383 stroker?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BIGRIG, Oct 16, 2001.

1. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

I built a stroker motor and have never really been able to get the timing right. Is there a math eqation for this or what...how do you know on a custom built motor?

350 .30 over
    400 crank
    5.7 rods
    9 to 1 comp.
    erson cam....will get the specs
    roller rockers 1.5

Thanx in advance

Chris

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM![​IMG]

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

'Cam timing' would most likely be 0 degrees for a weekend warrior truck unless this is a mud bogger or sand truck only.

I'd start with around 6 degrees 'spark advance' and adjust for your application. If your cam makes it's power in the high rpm's then you may wish to run a bit more advance. This would assume you have a unrestricted flow of intake and exhaust and a higher stall convertor. Large tires and high gearing might require you to back off the advance a little bit. With the huge assortment of aftermarket parts from the engine to the pavement your going to add a multitude of variables into the equation. It sounds like you've been adjusting by the wrench and pedal method which is slow and tedious but may just give you the best results.

"I'm looking for a Dana60 Front Axle.." I asked, "You wish! HAHA" the wrecker replied! - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> Pictures</a>

3. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I live in Eastern Colorado and have a 383 stroker in my 72. I run mine @12 degrees advanced and it hauls..... If you have an Erson TQ-20 cam and find the specs let me know what they are please.

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=) [​IMG]