Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to start

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mo, Jun 29, 2004.

1. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

Hey guys,
    I picked up a 82 K5 about 6 months ago for $700, and now that I'm out of school i think its time to start buildin it up. I'm pretty new to trucks, this is my first one to go along with my two thirdgen camaros, and was hoping you guys could get me started with some suggestions on what I should do to it, what parts to get, etc...

Here's a what I can tell of it right now:
    It used to be a diesel, but the previous owner swapped in a 350, I think he took out the 700r4 at the same time cause it doesn't have overdrive, so I'm guessing its a th350 now. I think it has 10 bolts in front and rear and not sure which transfer case.

I would like to be able to drive this on the highway and around town, but it won't be a daily driver, but I have a place up on the rubicon and would like to play around with it up there alittle bit. I'm not trying to take it all the way to Tahoe, just want to have some fun. Eventually I would like to use it to tow a jeep up there when I get one, so sooner or later towing ability is going to come up.

I'm going to build a 355 or 383 for it, haven't decided which yet, and figured I will need to get the tranny rebuilt or buy a built up one, I was thinking about trying to put a 700 back in it for overdrive or maybe a 4l80? I was thinking about a 6" lift and 35" tires, any suggestions for the lift? I really have no idea what to do with the axles, transfer case, gears, lockers, etc as that is all new to me so any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to have about 5k to put into it once I sell my 91 z28.

sorry its so long, thanks

Mo

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

First thing too do is to decide what you want too use your truck for. In my case, I'm a mudder at heart, so I went 6" suspension lift, and bought some 3/4 ton axles. (Still looking for a Dana 60 front axle that I'll be able to afford). Lift and axles should be the first upgrades in my opinion. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif Lift ??? Got to www.offroaddesign.com . They can hook you up with everything you'll need.

3. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

It will see some mud, mostly rocks though

I was thinking about getting a pro comp 6" suspension lift (in summit for like $600 right now) any thoughts about that? What about the tuff country kits?

thanks

4. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

If you plan to tow anything with it I wouldn't get anything more than a 6" lift, and if you go with a 4" or 6" lift be sure to get a kit that includes lifted rear springs instead of blocks. Depending on what gear ratio you have in the 10 bolts, you may put on the 35's and lose all of you power. If that's the case I have found it easier and cheaper to locate a matched set 10 bolt or dana44 front and a 14 bolt full float rear, they usually have 4.10 gears and sometimes 4.56's.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I really have no idea what to do with the axles, transfer case, gears, lockers, etc as that is all new to me so any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to have about 5k to put into it once I sell my 91 z28.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is what I'd do with $5k... i like rocks and trails.

Dana 60 1-ton front axle $900-1100
    ff14b 1-ton rear axle $100-200
    ORD shackle flip (4" of rear lift") $165
    BDS 4" front springs ~$200
    beefy aftermarket 700R4 ~$1500
    junkyard rebuilt np205 ~$200-300
    gears/lockers $1500

thats $4765-ish... and with some good fender triming and such you've got a pretty serious rig. Oh... forgot about tires... lol!!! anyway, you get the idea. I spent thousands beefing up my stock 1/2 ton stuff back in the day and I still kick myself in the butt for it. IMO if you want to wheel your rig now, the addiction is only gonna get worse later on... get the 1-ton axles as soon as you have the $ and take your build-up from there. Its almost like a foundation for a house... can't build a solid one without it and doing it later would be a PITA. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    It will see some mud, mostly rocks though

I was thinking about getting a pro comp 6" suspension lift (in summit for like $600 right now) any thoughts about that? What about the tuff country kits?

thanks

[/ QUOTE ] For rocks, I'd recomend a 4" lift, and some fender trimming. Lower center of gravity. You'd be better off getting either Tuff Country or BDS springs up front, and a ORD 4" Shackle flip for the rear. It'll ride much better then the Pro Comp lift. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

7. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, I'll start looking into those things, it looks like I could spend a fortune at ORD's site /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

yeah, we can't forget about those tires, but I'm gonna try and find a good used set around somewhere so that should knock off a couple hundred bucks.

what about u-joints? those seem like something that might like to brake. And one other thing, I read that article on the steering box brace, is that still a real popular mod these days?

thanks a lot guys, I'm sure the beast will thank all of you once it finally gets on the trails

8. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

ive got a pro comp set of rear 4 inch springs on my truck.they ride real nice.before that i had stock springs with blocks.i broke one of the blocks and center pins.luckily i caught it before i hit any big bumps and lost the rear axle.ive seen the damage that lift blocks cause.make sure you either get the shackle flip or lift springs.blocks are dangerous.ive heard good things about the bds springs.as far as ujoints go.ive had good experience using the brute force type ujoints.if you are going to upgrade to a good cheap ujoint i would go with those.

9. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

get the steering box brace for ORD well worth the money.