Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to start

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jagged, May 4, 2005.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I'd appreciate any insight and advice y'all have to offer here;

I'm trying to figure out the most cost-effective (in terms of wheeling performance) upgrades for my K5; I've got a tight budget, so everything I do has to count.

My K5 is an 87 350/700R4/208 with stock axles, differentials, wheels, and 31x10.5 tires.

Current work done to date on it includes; new cam (comp cam 270H) and heads (stock 350 heads), and Warn manual lock-outs. The cam and heads I got for free (started that project because of bad valve seals and a worn valveguide).

I use the truck as a DD and for general wheeling; little bit of mud, a bit more on some trails -- I plan on pretty much sticking with that, I have no urge to attempt rock crawling until I get more experience.

More ground clearance would be nice, but we all know lifting generally comes with new tires/wheels and you really can't put that much of a bigger tire in without lifting. Are there any old trucks that I'd be able to pull the leaf springs out of to get a few inches out of?

And what would be more effective, investing in a winch, or getting a limited slip or locker for the diffs? Both are nice, but one has to come first (and the other would be a long while away).

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

...or more acurately, lifting is done to clear larger tires.

sure you can, if you have no qualms about trimming the factory sheetmetal. I know most people (at first) dont want to fender trim, but if you are on a budget it is absolutely the cheapest way to get room for bigger tires.

Easiest way to get lift on a k5 is to use a shackle flip in back (ORD, Sky, homemade, etc) along with your stock rear springs. That gets you 4" of lift in the rear suspension. Up front, find a local CK5'er that is upgrading to longer than stock springs or a linked suspension and buy their old lift springs. I sold my 4" lift springs for $40 or 50 (can't remember now, lol!). Anyway, if you're just starting out, buying used upgrades from more hardcore 'wheelers is a great way to get the stuff you want cheap.

its just my opinion, but I wouldn't recommend spending the $$$ to add a lim slip or locker to a rear 10b axle. They are pretty sad for all kinds of reasons. For the same amount of $ it would cost to have that locker installed, you could get a ff14b axle with a locker already in it instead. For the front, thats up to you. A 10b front isn't a bad axle at all for anything up to 35 or 36" tall tires. More than that is pushing it unless you shell out the $ for super-bling shafts, u-joints etc.

last bit of advice, do LOTS of searching in the forums.... there is an amazing amount of information here that would be useful to you as you try to decide what you want to do to your rig.

j

3. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

What kind of budget we talking about?

I'd say a warn 9000lb winch would do you better than a locker or limited slip. Sometimes you can buy a used warn for around $500 which is cheaper that diff. work. I've seen alot of people do well on normal trail riding with open diff and if you can't do it then the winch will help you out.

Yes a 14ff would be a nice cheap upgrade but with it comes 8 lug rims, matching gear, conversion u-joints, shock relocation and perches.

4. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Yeah that's what I meant :)

I've been searching locally for some used parts for other pieces of the truck, just didn't click in my head to look for used springs (one of those brain-farts I suppose). But anyways, I appriciate you pointing me into some sort of direction. I'm sure you know just starting work on a truck is easy to get lost in what can be done.

And the budget is something to the effect of, I can scrounge up maybe $100 every month or two to throw at the truck

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just food for thought, a winch is one of the only upgrades that'll get you out of trouble instead of into it. Traction aids are all well and good, but they generally get you deeper into stuff than you would be without.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

no question about that... lots of different alternatives.

you can get things done with a budget like that. What you need is to develope a plan detailing how you want to use your rig, and what upgrades you'll need to get there. Then ya lurk in every 4x4 forum you can find, the local paper, nickel ads, craigslist etc etc watching for something on your list of wanted upgrades to pop up so you can snag it. If you're patient and snipe the good deals when they come along you can save yourself a LOT of money. Thats the same thing I'm doing with my Toyota buggy project. I might not buy anything for it for 6 months... then a t-case will pop up that is 1/4 the cost of what most people are asking and I'll snap it up and put it in the "pile o parts". Building on a budget means you have to make every dollar count. Learning about your rig from CK5 is a great way to save money too. Back when I first started modding my k5, I didn't know jack about them. I spent a TON of cash on upgrades that didn't make sense (like pouring $$$$$$ into 1/2 ton axles). Wasn't until I began visiting ck5 on a daily basis that I started to figure out the smart (and cheap!) way to build a rig.

j