Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to start

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stratispho, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Stratispho

Stratispho 1/2 ton status

First, sorry for the long post and the noobish questions that may arise...

I was just given an 85 Blazer by a friend that had to get it out of his hard so he didn't get fined.

It's been sitting for 4 years now but ran when it was parked. The reason it was parked is cuz they decided to jump it and in doing so the rear driveshaft snapped at the transfer case and also got pushed back through the rear differential and broke the gears inside which made the right rear axle slide out... So, I know it needs either a new/used 10bolt rear, a new driveshaft, and possibly the transfer case but dont' know yet. The transfer case has a hairline crack in it is the reason I don't know.

I took it knowing these problems cuz he has brand new 35" tires on it that have less then 50 miles on them. A rebuilt 700r4 transmission (dont' know how good) and the engine was rebuilt to a 383 stroker.

Everything else seems to be ok except for this one fatal flaw... I can't get the engine to start. I flushed out all the fuel lines, drained the gas tank and put fresh gas in it. Replaced the fuel pump, starter, and battery. The engine will crank if I manually crank it by shorting out the starter. But when I turn the key I get nothing. Not a click, nothing.. All the lights will come on so I know it's turning on the power. I've checked all the fuses, replaced the neutral safety switch, the ignition switch, and still get nothing. I don't know where to go next and can't take it to the shop cuz I can't tow it anywhere cuz the rear end is off.

Better to fix the engine first or get it rolling so I can tow it in and let someone smarter fix the engine?

2. FastMaxx

FastMaxx Registered Member

Just a few things to check. Make sure its in park (may have to check the linkage), see if you are getting spark from the plug wires, check plugs, try manualy choking it to get it fuel, or pour a little fuel in the the carb to get it to fire. might have to check to timing, it could be way off. Thats all i can think of to get it to fire. good luck