Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where to start?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Sub_Versive, Jul 12, 2001.

1. Sub_Versive

Sub_Versive Registered Member

I have a 3/4 ton 1985 Suburban 4X4 that I'd like to lift 6 inches and put 38 inch tires on. I'm not really using the truck for any off-roading yet, but I'd like to get out in the mud here sometime. It's my daily driver, so I'm trying to plan out what I'll need to do the job - even in bits and pieces without disabling the truck for more than a few days at a time. I am planning on using 6" front springs, the 4" shackle flip and 2" springs in the rear, the steering box brace and greasable shackle bushings. Any suggestions on how to go about this, anyone with experience with lifts? Thanks,

Jake Kooser

2. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

well doin the actul lift for my first time took me about 10 hours...since it was my first time undertaking any project like that is the reason it too me so long.....but all i had to do was do springs in the front a blocks in the rear...i just put in a shackle flip last weekend and that took me rigth around 11 hrs just to do the filp alone...that included pulling the gas tank, cutting the old hangers off, remove the blocks, then let the truck sit for a day while i had my drive shaft shortened up a little....so plan on at least 2 long days to do the lift...i think if you started on a friday night you would be done my sunday mid day sometime....depending on if you find any of the "i might as well" type of fixes...the steering box i havent tackeled yet...that will be after the holister trip....i just ran out of time to get it all done....My normal plan for projects normaly work out to as soon as i get off work i get to work on the truck....75% of the time i have it rollin by monday morn so i have a ride to work...so it normaly works to my favor [​IMG]

Donations accepted for the "Build Chaz's 1972 K5 fund"!!!

3. Sub_Versive

Sub_Versive Registered Member

That's kind of the response I'm looking for. I really have no idea how long it takes to do this sort of thing. I'm pretty good mechanically (at least I think so, sometimes the truck doesn't agree with me...) and I've got a pretty well-equipped shop. I'm planning on ordering the rear disk brake kit from TSM in the next couple of days - figure I'll make sure it stops first, since my brakes suck right now. I'm also going to do the front brakes and add braided stainless flex lines to accomodate the lift at the same time. I figure that should save me some of the down time, but I'm also thinking already that I'd like to sandblast the axles and repaint them at the same time... I can see lots of "might as well" goodies tying up some extra time.

Jake Kooser

4. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Well, it depends on the tools you have. I put on a 6" all spring
    lift on my 1986 Chevy truck and it took a few days. I only had hand tools and had to borrow alot of tools from friends. But, I only had one day a week to work on it. A torch is a must. It will speed up disassembly the old supsension parts.

74 Blazer
    Zepplin
    Check out my Blazer <A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976>http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976</A>

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

1st step is a good plan for what you want, like full greasable suspension, any extra goodies like that.
    Then buy them.
    Then do as much work as you can to the parts to get them ready on the weeknights.
    Did I mention spraying EVERYTHING you may need to take apart with penetrating lube starting about 2 weeks before you attempt to work on it? That really helps.
    I don't have time tonight to write more, but you're getting some good advice here, you might post it on the main board also. I'll try to get back when I can put a little more into it.
    Thanks

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [image][/image]
    SW-ORD