Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to tap fuse box for tranny temp gauge?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by will89, Mar 16, 2003.

1. will89

will89 1/2 ton status

There are a few openings toward the upper left. I went to the junkyard and clipped some harnesses that will plug into any of those openings. Im just trying to figure out which one. Should I just pick any one that is 'switched' (turns on with key)??? And where should I ground to???

And what the hell is the slot labeled "shunt" for??
    thanks guys
    89 Sub
    [​IMG]

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Not sure about your gauge, but generally the only power supply you should need is for the light. If that's the case, you need to find the circuit for the instrument lights. It'll be controlled by the light switch rheostat, going from 0-12V on a tester. They are color coded but I don’t remember which bank is the instrument lamps. Before I completely rewired mine (mostly finished as of yesterday) I had my gauge lamps plugged in just like your talking about.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

"shunt" is basically a jumper...one side of the fuse panel slots are connected underneath by a metal strip, so you'll have 3 or 4 fuses that are all getting 12V from the same feed. (inside the panel where you can't see this)

The shunt allows the 12V to "jump" to the other side of the fuse cavity, so say on the lower 4 fuses, the 12V "in" is on the left side of the fuse, after the shunt (as you move up the fuse panel) the 12V "in" will be on the right side.

As I recall, all of the "accessory" ports are either straight battery voltage (unfused 12V feed) or after the 30A circuit breaker in about the middle of the later fuse panels.