Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

where to wheel in ohio?

Discussion in 'Blazin Trails' started by RATAH, Nov 11, 2002.

1. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

Thanks for some info

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I don't know where Franklin is but... Check here wwww.sfwda.org and look under clubs. There is TKO and K&I, I have heard of both of them, and a new club as well. BTW TKO=TN-KY-OH and K&I=KY&IA

3. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Wellsville and Barkcamp are the 2 most popular......but there are some others.....Web......

4. 76k5Blazer

76k5Blazer 1/2 ton status

theres a pay park run by some guy near covington visiala ky that pretty cool has creeks and mud and rock /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Scott87K5

Scott87K5 Registered Member

I've been looking too. Not much around. Terry's Tire Town 4 Wheelers is a great club. I've been on a outing with them, and they are all helpful and experienced.

Wellsville (about 1 hour southeast of Akron) is a decent area, but you sometimes have to pay. I thought the trails around Barkcamp were closed. There's also some stuff in Viton County, but I've never been (it's about 3 hours drive south from Akron).

If you are looking for something close and convienient, you will have to check for local groups, maybe someone in your area has a farm that they let friends use...I am working on some of my parent's neighbors.

I am looking toward Western PA, also. I think they are a little less restrictive about land use in PA. There are some 4 wheeler trails south of Pittsburg I may try.

Scott

6. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Our club is the Ohio 4x4 Trailriders (www.ohio4x4.com). There is also the Southeastern Buckeye Four wheel drive club in the area. I've been on several rides with the Tiretown club also.

Most of the "trails" we run are actually old unmaintained township roads, and about the only legal places there are. I do believe there are areas around Wellsville that are on private land but the owners allow useage.

There are decent places to go, but you have to know what areas are open and where to stay out of. Neither myself or our club will usually not give directions over the net, let's just say it's from lessons learned and we no longer have some trails available (that we had run for years and years) because of over use. Also check out the Ohio Multi-Use Trail Association (OMTA), it's a fairly new orgaization that's working towards getting more off-highway areas open.

Barkcamp - close to Barkcamp state park but not actually on it. There are some decent trails/roads consisting mostly of creek crossings, mud holes, and ruts......if you like mud running then this is the place to be. A guy used to lease some land and started a campground and a play area, but he lost the lease because of irresponsible use. High school kids started hanging out there to drink and people were just being stupid, so now it's closed. The new lease holder tried to close down the roads but couldn't because there are legal township right-of-ways.

Wellsville - this place kind of goes through a juggling act every other year or so due to conflicts with the land owners, usually among themselves. Last I heard most of the area was open. Lot's of wild hills and all around good trails.

Vinton county - several different roads in that area, mostly dirt hills, mud holes, and some rock ledges. Good places but really hard to find the legal areas (no road signs!!)

Marietta - same as above, most of the roads that used to be difficult have been bulldozed to people can access gas wells and stuff.

8. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Hey RATAH...I've got Webb Road 5 minutes from my front door and 3 or 4 other spots 5 minutes from that! Webb has an annual bash on the weekends closest to Halloween with 40 to 60 trucks and quads. Bring yer tent...its a party fest! LOL! I've wheeled with JK5 and Emmettology both....yer MORE than welcome here. Where the heck is Franklin? I'm 1 exit North of Canfield on Rte. 11 and Mahoning. Webb is just North of Mahoning along the East edge of 11. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

Franklin ohio is between Dayton and Cinci
    here the directions i got

Miles Map
    Start: Depart Franklin, Ohio, United States on Local road(s) (North-West) 0.1
    1: Turn RIGHT (North-East) onto Riley Blvd [Cana St] 0.4
    2: Turn RIGHT (East) onto SR-123 [E 6th St] 0.2

3: Bear RIGHT (South-East) onto SR-123 0.1
    4: Keep STRAIGHT onto SR-123 [Franklin Lebanon Rd] 0.8
    5: Take Ramp (LEFT) onto I-75 6.2

6: At I-75 Exit 43, take Ramp (RIGHT) onto I-675 26.1
    7: At I-675 I-70 Exit, take Ramp (RIGHT) onto I-70 [SR-4] 48.7

8: At I-70 Exit 93B, take Ramp (RIGHT) onto I-270 towards I-270 / Cleveland 17.5
    9: At I-270 Exit 26B, take Ramp (RIGHT) onto I-71 towards I-71 / Cleveland 90.7

10: Resurfacing near Mansfield (May 17, 2000 - October 15, 2003)

11: At I-71 Exit 209, turn RIGHT onto Ramp 0.4
    12: Take Ramp (RIGHT) onto I-76 [US-224] 18.0

13: Take Ramp (RIGHT) onto I-76 1.8
    14: Take Ramp (RIGHT) onto I-76 [I-77] 39.9

15: Resurfacing between North Jackson and Hubbard (May 1, 2002 - March 28, 2003)

16: At I-76 Exit 15, road name changes to I-80

17: At I-80 Exit 226, take Ramp (RIGHT) onto SR-11 1.5
    18: At SR-11 Mahoning Ave Exit, turn RIGHT onto Ramp 0.2

19: Turn RIGHT (West) onto Mahoning Ave 0.7
    20: Turn RIGHT (North) onto Howard St < 0.1
    End: Arrive Austintown, Ohio, United States

10. OffRoadOhio

OffRoadOhio Registered Member

There are the Roseville Prison Trails,and the Columbia cement trails. (hard to tell where is legal and where is not)
    There is also Tonys Mud Bog and Vics Mud Bog

if you just want to do some hard core mud bogging