Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to wheel. (New guy)

Discussion in 'Midwest Region' started by jcorneglio, Mar 19, 2005.

1. jcorneglio

jcorneglio Registered Member

Hey just wondering if there are any other wheelers in my area. If so where do you go wheel'n. I live near Morris, IL

2. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

I would have said the Cliffs in Marseilles, but then I noticed you have a suburban, so that's out, they have a wheelbase restriction. Other than that, you have a little bit of a drive. Either Rockport Off Road Park in Rockport IL, or the Badlands in Attica, IN are probably the two closest.

3. fordcummins1

fordcummins1 1/2 ton status

Badlands is a sure fire place to have fun. What condition is the body on your burb? And what kind of condition do you want it to be in? If you dont care about it, Badlands will provide plenty of entertainment. While I havent wheeled at Rockport yet, I have been there, and it looks like a great time.

4. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Rockport is a fun park, but relatively tight most places. You could get arround in a burb, but damage would happen.

5. jcorneglio

Sounds like a good way to start practicing my body work skills. :hack: Anyway my buddy keeps asking me to go to the Badlands. I think it would be fun, I have a few neccesities to finish on my rig though. I want to cut out the rockers and replace with 2" x 3" square tube, need longer brake lines (front can droop more than lines will allow), also would like to find some different tires for wheeling, other than the BFG A/T I have now. It's a 3/4 ton so I am not too worried about the driveline, but new U-joints couldn't hurt.

6. fordcummins1

fordcummins1 1/2 ton status

Put up a post when you want to go wheeling, Id love to see a Burban out on the trails at Badlands.

7. jcorneglio

Soon I hope. The only thing I really MUST do is the brake lines. I guess the A/T's would do OK. Plus I would really like to go with some other full size rigs. I have wheeled quite a bit but nothing as serious as th Badlands. I am surrounded with old strip mines and in some areas they used to have great places to wheel, but not anymore. All private land now .... NO TRESPASSING ... Mostly because of the idiots who feel the need to dump there old couch or washing machine or whatever and ruined it. Let me know when you fellas are going to the badlands and hopefully I will be ready. Hey maybe you guys could shoot me sort of check list of things I should look at before I were to go to Badlands. Thanks.

8. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

Yep, brakes are good.:) Burbs are even better - you can take all your friends and family wheelin' with you. Definitely be prepared to take some damage if you want to tackle the trails at the Badlands. Some of them are tough to get a K5 through without dents. I started out there with a K20, so I have first hand experience.:grin: It can be done, but takes patience, and sometimes the desire to tackle the trail overcomes the patience.:grin:

9. offroadnut

offroadnut 1/2 ton status

I have a burb and I am planing on wheeling it here in a couple months. I have my trial run here locally at a mud pit on video. I have a post about it in the garage. http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133329I have a decent body and plan to keep it that way BUT,,, that just means I need to be a good driver... I will wheel the hell out of it.
    I have a few minor things to finish. Bad starter wire that is grounding out, and a loss of power under a heavy load probably the coils. I also still have to put on my swaybar disconnects and my steering arm brace.
    I have long shock towers, 3/4 ton 4 inch lift springs, long steal braded brake lines, 35 inch tires, and a 1 inch body lift with new poly bushings. it did great out there playing. can't wait to really put it to the test.

Hell I took a 2000 Dodge Ram out there two years ago and did no damage. (quad cab 4X4) did some of the trails but didn't have the ground clearance for all of them.