Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to wheel...NW CO

Discussion in 'Blazin Trails' started by trouble1, Oct 26, 2002.

1. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

OK...Stupid Question of the Day...Where can I go to do Moderate Wheeling? I live in Steamboat....and cant find anywhere. I've been pulling ppl over if they look like they have any kind of a wheeling rig at all, and nobody knows where we can go... Am I stuck on pavement????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Find out where the local forest ranger office is. They sell pretty decent maps for about $10 that will show you any Jeep trails (usualy listed as forest service roads) in the area. The rangers might even know of a few trails that they could recommend. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

They are still closed from all the fires up here /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    Thanx for the idea though.....The only things I can find are out of Routt and Grand County.... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

We've got the same problem down here. The Hayman Fire was just to the west of here. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Lots of good trails were closed, but there are still some places to at least go for a cruise through the woods.

5. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

I found a spot on the Eagle / Routt County Line on 131...Its actually more of a ATV / Dirt bike trails but I asked permission from the Land owner...and let the guys that were out there where I'd be and they were all kool with it /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I finally got to do a hours worth of wheeling /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    You might try this... 4x4trails.net
    They cover quite a few trails in the state. Better hurry though, winter is coming!
    For me, it just means it's time to change toys and come up to Steamboat/Rabbit ears! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    You could always head down toward Kremling/Gore Pass?

7. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Check out www.colorado4x4.org too. They are 99.9% Jeep guys, but somebody to wheel with at least. Alot of good trail books out there too. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

seslick and storm trooper...THANKS! Those are two great sites...my printer is working in doubletime. I've heard of the Gore pass trail...I know when your coming out of Kremling, hang a left on the road showing twoards Gore Pass, but to where from there??? Ive been told its up over the CO River??

9. Storm Trooper

Dave, It's really best to get some topo maps of the areas you want to check out if you haven't been in there before. The forest service should have them. Be careful this time of year or you might get snowed into a trail and not get out tell spring! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    We'll need to hook up sometime, just don't know if it would be this year, anymore. Dave (From Dillon)

10. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

Sounds good man....Anytime, just let me know. Dillon, Huh...I almost moved to Dillon Valley west when I moved to CO from FL!!!Cool little town, and ya got a Starbucks /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey i live down in grand junction and there is some pretty cool stuff around here and there are alot of other wheelers down here along with a fellow ck5 member azblazer . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

21road?

Azblazer

13. Storm Trooper

Too bad, if you would have moved in there you would have been right next door! I have the horse ranch across the highway. 4-1/2" for the white stuff today kinda shuts down wheelin around here (kinda). /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

14. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

i am not sure how hard the trails in N CO are.. i had the opportunity to run what is called black bear pass. it is said to be one of the hardest in the area, in S CO, it goes from hwy 550 (14 miles north of silverton) to Telluride. the last stretch is amazing as you decent 2500ft /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif of oneway switchbacks into telluride past the old Telluride powerhouse (Bridal Vail Falls). [​IMG] there just one of the many pics i took while in CO..here is the link to some of my pics.. Colorado Adventure