Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where to work on my K5???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by grimjaw, Oct 10, 2004.

1. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

I am a novice a best with a wrench. I can build computers in my sleep but I have never done much more than change oil and plugs on a truck. Overall I am good with this type work but there will be a lot of research and trail and error. I figure that a job that would take some one an hour will take me 3-4 depending on bad luck. When I started with computers I could leave a project in parts all over the living room and work at my own pace. Now I live in a condo with no garage. I can not do major work that will take me more than a few hours in the parking lot. I can’t be the only person stuck without a place to work. I would like to know what other people in apartments and condos do for work space. I have thought about renting a large storage unit to work in but that seems expensive and the lack of power outlets would be an issue. Any thoughts on this would be helpful thanks.

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

have a friend who's got a driveway? Perhaps is interested in workin on cars? See if theyll let you 'borrow' their driveway.

3. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Ditto what K20 said... that's what I do! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I live in a townhouse with a single open carport. Until about two years ago I did everything there...neighbors be damned.

About two years ago my best friends cousin converted an old horse barn into a small shop about 45 minutes from here. We began working on our stuff there.

In the past i have tried to get to know as many guys as possible...you know, networking...and found someone interested in splitting the rent on a double garage.

This hobby is all about friends helping friends...so get friendly. Get involved with others, offer to help out as much as you can and it'll come back to you. Either that or hope to win a lottery and build the shop of your dreams. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As for the jobs I have done in the carport...pre-planning the entire job is the key IMO. Get all the parts and tools lined up. Free up a weekend and work as efficiently as possible. Arrange help if you need it...

That's about the best advice I can offer. Unfortunately there are no cheap easy solutions to this problem.

Rene

5. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

dont work on gravel
    skin doesnt slide

6. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Unfortunately, my wife and I moved to the Atlanta area about three years ago and still do not know many people. The few friends we have here barely know which end of a screw driver in which. Looks like I need to plan out my work, get the parts and rent a large storage unit. Oh well I was hoping for a better plan. I guess it’s a good thing I have bought the Chiltons, Hayes and factory service manuals for my truck.

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i try do do alot of the big stuff on base we have a big shop to do stuff here, with lifts and everything, pretty nice, i did my axle swap in my buddies Garage.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I can tell where NOT to fix your trucks!!--I live near a large car wash with several big wash bays(darn boombox cars blast their radios all night there)--one night I heard a call on the police scanner about someone hogging one bay for several hours--when the cop got there he found a local 4x4 enthusiast and several of his friends with a case of beer,an engine hoist,and a huge pool of anti-freeze,oil and dextron--they pulled the motor after beating it mercilessly in a nearby mud pit and it blew up and seized,his friends towed him to the car wash so he could wash it before going home to swap his motor(outside--he had no garage)and he had the brainstorm of fixing it right there--his friends ran home and got his engine crane and tools,and another motor he had sitting in his yard,and the 30 pack of beer,and they were like a pit crew at a nascar race--the cop was like /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif"what the hell do you think your doing!!.They pulled the torque converter out with the engine,since it was seized and they couldnt turn it over to get at the bolts--the cop decided since the owner was not available,and it was late at night--he just let them finish the job--the next day the owner filed charges amounting to 5000 dollars in damages to his business due to the oil and anti-freeze contaminating his water supply(I didnt know this,but most car washes recycle the same water over many times)I guess they wont do that again!!.
    You might go for a ride ina rural area near you,there must be some farms around--perhaps you can made a deal with a farmer to use a barn or other outbuilding.Here in the northeast many folks rent storage bays,but most of them are very strict about doing any repair work on their property--we used to have "Rent A Bays" for do it yourselfers,but insurance regulations put them out of business--it costed 100 bucks a day to rent a lift and a bay,so they went out--maybe you can find a service station that has a bay but doesnt to much repairing,if at all--many of the older mechanics here will rent their bays if they arent up to using them anymore.At least you have warm weather most of the year--up here its starting to suck already--anything under 50 degrees,I start shivering!. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

9. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I can tell where NOT to fix your trucks!!--I live near a large car wash with several big wash bays(darn boombox cars blast their radios all night there)--one night I heard a call on the police scanner about someone hogging one bay for several hours--when the cop got there he found a local 4x4 enthusiast and several of his friends with a case of beer,an engine hoist,and a huge pool of anti-freeze,oil and dextron--they pulled the motor after beating it mercilessly in a nearby mud pit and it blew up and seized,his friends towed him to the car wash so he could wash it before going home to swap his motor(outside--he had no garage)and he had the brainstorm of fixing it right there--his friends ran home and got his engine crane and tools,and another motor he had sitting in his yard,and the 30 pack of beer,and they were like a pit crew at a nascar race--the cop was like /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif"what the hell do you think your doing!!.They pulled the torque converter out with the engine,since it was seized and they couldnt turn it over to get at the bolts--the cop decided since the owner was not available,and it was late at night--he just let them finish the job--the next day the owner filed charges amounting to 5000 dollars in damages to his business due to the oil and anti-freeze contaminating his water supply(I didnt know this,but most car washes recycle the same water over many times)I guess they wont do that again!!.
    You might go for a ride ina rural area near you,there must be some farms around--perhaps you can made a deal with a farmer to use a barn or other outbuilding.Here in the northeast many folks rent storage bays,but most of them are very strict about doing any repair work on their property--we used to have "Rent A Bays" for do it yourselfers,but insurance regulations put them out of business--it costed 100 bucks a day to rent a lift and a bay,so they went out--maybe you can find a service station that has a bay but doesnt to much repairing,if at all--many of the older mechanics here will rent their bays if they arent up to using them anymore.At least you have warm weather most of the year--up here its starting to suck already--anything under 50 degrees,I start shivering!. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a garrage &/or paved drive way? Miles ahead of the game!

How about 10b rotors, siezed caliper slides with bolts so round that you have to torch them out?
    Sounds like a PITA right?

How about a 20 below, PLUS windchill.... /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

10. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

hey georgia boy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif my neighbor rents a small space in a hobbyist type garage. most of these people are into SCCA racing and work on the race cars there but they might have an open space for someone. i'll see if i can get him to find out. but it is also on the other side of town, it's in chamble.