Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Where would I buy 10 degree axle shims?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NerdBoy, Aug 3, 2005.

1. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

I'm playing with my driveline angles, and I have calculated that I need a set of 10 degree shims for my back axle. Where would I buy these for a reasonable cost? Is there any place online? I can't seem to get them from any of my local suppliers.

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Hmm, I bought my 6 degrees Pro Comp shims from 6 states. I think they were like $15 or something. You could probably order them from 4 wheelparts.com if you don't mind giving them business.

3. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I needed at least the same degree change. Everybody I spoke to, including Jesse at HAD, said that is way too steep for shims. I am actually cutting off my spring perches, rotating the axle, and welding the perches back on in the proper location. This is the better way to do it even though it is a PITA.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

cut and turn if you need that much. also i had good luck when i did a flip kit with 1" block to level out. i had to but block in backwards to help with angle. as the block was cut on angle. this worked perfect. just a idea:crazy:

5. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Just make sure you get steel shims. The aluminum ones are junk

7. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

You are a life saver, and I am forever in your debt. :D

I would prefer to get the perches cut off, and re-welded, but I don't weld, the closest place around there that would do the work for me would require me to yank that beast back out from under the truck and haul it to them, and would charge me $200 for the job.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2005
  8. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I said the same thing but I changed my mind when someone told me that it was much more expensive having your rig towed out from wherever you were when the axle and springs parted ways while wheeling. However, there are many folks who contacted me with similar setups that haven't failed.............yet. One suggestion someone made to me was if I was going to go that steep, to have somebody tack the shim to the perch so it wouldn't slide around. I wish I could find somebody to do it around here for $200. That is pretty cheap actually.

9. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

^^^what he said^^^
    ive gone through 2 sets already and working on the 3rd right now. i found someone on ebay that sold steel shims. but i might just get the zero rates and have them milled.

10. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I run 8* shims in the front ( I know I know way too much) you just have to check them alot and make sure all your bolts stay tight. The potential for problems is high, but you could make them work just be careful